VMware Cloud Community
leejb
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 not recognizing existing VMFS volume.

Added a new Host into system at v4.1 ESXi.  Other hosts are ESX v4.0.   Shared LUN over Fiber formatted to VMFS v3.31 from ESX v4.0 host.  Other ESX v4.0 Host can access LUN no problems.  However, when I try to add to the new v4.1, it sees the LUN, even reads the VMFS Label, but only gives me the option 'Format the disk'.

Have tried from both the VCenter (newly upgraded VCenter v4.1) and directly from the v4.1 host, no change.

The only thing I can think is diff. other than v4.1 is the firmware on the HBA's.  I have two QLogic 2432 PCI-E, both with same results.  When I get a second, I have a dual port and an earlier version of same HBA model I can try, but if it can see the lun, I don't see how this would be an issue.

My understanding is that there should be no problems with v4.1 reading a v3.31 VMFS, only some of the newer features like Hardware acceleration are not available.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
leejb
Contributor
Contributor

captures from both.  Runtime names are not the same as the first portion, the UNIX device alias differs... vmhba2 vs vmhba3.  On the i4.1 host, I moved the HBA physically to a PCI-E slot higher on the riser and it took vmhba3.  Since doing this I cannot mount the storage via GUI even though it's in another site.  I'll swap the HBA back tonight (so it takes back vmhba2) to see if behavior reverts back.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

The hba number isn't so much the issue, what you're looking for is the disk being T0:L1 being the same on both (lun 1). Looks like it is - meaning you've covered the obvious angle on this issue for me.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would get VMware Support involved in this. They could be very interested if there are underlying issues related to ESX(i).

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
puch201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Were they helpful? I added two ESXi 4.1 to my systems and I am unable to add iSCSI storage to them (only format option available)...

0 Kudos
leejb
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a support contract, and wasn't willing to request $$ to resolve this further since the manual mount works for me.  So far *knock-on-wood* I've not had any performance or other issues after doing this.   If I was clustering, using HA, etc I would probably pay support (then again, if I had those options I would probably have the support contract).

I have 0 experience with iSCSI so I'm afraid I cannot help you there.

0 Kudos
V12NPro
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue on two iSCSI LUNs. Fortunately, I am doing the upgrade and testing in lab before deploying them in production so not really worried at this point.

I have 2 hosts on i4.0.0 and I updated one host to i4.1.0 build 260247 and was able to add the datastores back along with Vms. However, the other host which was still on i4.0.0 could not see the datastore, even after many rescans, deleting the host from vcenter did not resolve. I tried updating, it didn't even update through VUM like the other host did. So, manually updated it to i4.1.0 build 348481 and still I am unable to mount the datastore.

I created a new LUN and was able to add that without any issue so I guess the problem is adding existin datastores/LUNs which were created or formatted with 4.0.0???

Moreover, I unmounted the datastore from i4.1.0 build 260247 and it cannot add the datastore back.... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
V12NPro
Contributor
Contributor

Just an update:

One of the LUNs which I couldn't mount back on 4.1 hosts after upgrade did eventually mount but I had to format the datastore.

0 Kudos
V12NPro
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about back to back posts but another update:

The datastore which I had working for i4.0, I was able to see and mount that datastore back on a i4.0 host but still no luck with i4.1.0.

Datastores formatted with i4.1.0, are not even visible when "add storage" option is selected.

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To chime in on this I am now experiencing this same issue on my hosts and I have a support request open to see what Support says.  When I get something I will update about it.

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok I talked with VMware support and we both agreed on what KB article addresses this issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101138...

Now the VMware tech said I would have to use the -r "resignature" option but on the off chance that just a force mounting "-M" might do the trick I tried it and sure enough every LUN I could not mount via the GUI, mounted just fine from the command line.

0 Kudos
kormen
Contributor
Contributor

I had same issue... i need these data. i not read anywhere a solution. in my case the esxcfg-volumes -l not produce output, but the partition is there and the esxi see that parition. But only the format available.

If have ANY other mode to read that partition i save my data and i destroy that vmfs. and if have any chance i never use this horrible FS.

I working on this problem almost 1 months, and nothing. My support request is missing. Nice.

Kormen

0 Kudos