VMware Cloud Community
salogni63
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 momentarily errors on boot

I recently re-built an ESXi 4.1 host following a motherboard replacement and firmware updates on a Dell Poweredge R710 (used Dell USC to do firmware updates...that's another story). I run ESXi on USB thumb drives. Now when the host boots, I momentarily get the following warning:

The warning pops up for literally <1 second and then disappears. Any thoughts? I've seen other postings where this warning is accompanied by several others, but never where this is the only one. Let me know what other information I can provide.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried following the directions on the error message?

salogni63
Contributor
Contributor

No, I'm installing remotely and don't have it at a stage where I can manage it through vSphere.

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So you only have access to the console then? I would check out the /etc/syslog.conf file and see what the contents of that file is. If it is blank you can try adding the config I attached. The config I attached is the default syslog.conf from a fresh build of esx 4.1. Once you add that config you will need to reboot or just restart syslog. /etc/init.d/syslog restart

Hope this helps

salogni63
Contributor
Contributor

Thank Pro, I'll give that a try and let you know what comes of it or if I have any further q's.

0 Kudos
salogni63
Contributor
Contributor

We don't have syslog configured in the location indicated by the error message on any hosts, so I'm not worried about it just yet. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos