VMware Cloud Community
hanover_fiste
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1 install hangs at install screen

I'm running a white box (yes, I know) built from a tyan s5380 and 2 intel 5430s. Have tried various bios settings to no avail, including a reset to defaults (and then only enabling intel virtualization).  Mostly wondering if anyone else has installed ESXi on this board sucessfully, or if I'm wasting my time.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The issue you see is most likely caused by an ACPI incompatibility where the installer does not recognize the keyboard correctly. If you have an USB keyboard, unplug/plug it at this point. This usually helps.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does it hang loading a specific module?  During the boot process you can get a bit more information when you press  ALT+F1 and ALT+12.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Please find the URLs for VMware HCL and Community supported hardware list. Hope it will help you to check whether your hardware is supported by ESXi 4.1 or not.

www.vmware.com/go/hcl

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/general/cshwsw

0 Kudos
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Of course, you need supported hardware to have a supported config, but if your just trying to get a play box up and running...

I had a similar issue with a home desktop I use for training & playing.  The issue was ESXi didn't have drivers for my internal CDROM drive.  I could boot from the CDROM, but once control was handed over to ESXi to copy the files the install would freeze because ESXi couldn't talk to the CD.  I worked around it by plugging in an external USB CDROM and booting from that.

With ESXi it's very important to follow the HCL.  Missing drivers is a common problem.

Regards,

-Kyle

hanover_fiste
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried alt-f1 through alt-f12. The box his locked hard. My only option is to power cycle it. I get as far as the screen asking reboot/repair/install, but then the system becomes completely unresponsive. What's rather surprising is that this is an intel-based server board, processors, and ram. Tyan doesn't deviate much at all from a vanilla set up.

I can try an external drive, but I'm just using a standard PATA DVD drive. Shouldn't require a special driver.

As a sanity check, I installed RH 5.4 this morning. Went on with zero problems and runs quite stable. I really don't want to be stuck with the limitations of vmware server, but that may end up being my only option if I can't get esxi to install.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The issue you see is most likely caused by an ACPI incompatibility where the installer does not recognize the keyboard correctly. If you have an USB keyboard, unplug/plug it at this point. This usually helps.

André

0 Kudos
hanover_fiste
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PS/2 KB and mouse.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try to find/buy/borrow an USB keyboard. I'm almost sure this will solve the issue.

André

0 Kudos
hanover_fiste
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't believe it was actually that simple. I mean, a standard PS/2 kb doesn't work, but using a USB kb does? srsly?

Thanks very much for the suggestion, it did indeed do the trick.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One of the weirdest but sure it work 😃

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are welcome.

In case you are interested, read KB article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011852. Although this is for ESX 3.5 (not ESXi), the Details sections explains what has changed in detecting PS/2 devices in newer versions of ESX(i).

André

0 Kudos