VMware Cloud Community
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.1 host with more than 256GB of memory inquiry

Presently my company is on ESXi 4.1.  We have a project to go to vSphere 5 this year hopefully.  I'm getting some new ESXi hosts in that will be dual socket 8 core with 384GB's of memory in them.  I'm going to have to install ESXi 4.1 with the Enterprise Plus license on them until I can get to the vSphere 5 upgrade.  I know that the limitation on ESXi 4.1 is 256GB's of memory.  Can I still install ESXi 4.1 on a box with more than 256GB's of memory or will I have to pull some memory out for everything to function?  How does that work?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
alphaseeker
Contributor
Contributor

If other OS behaviour is of any indication then you should be able to install and use ESXi , only that the OS will see upto its maximum memory limit i.e 255GB. It should not stop you from proceeding.

--------------------

http://www.datauniv.com/blogs

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm going to have to install ESXi 4.1 with the Enterprise Plus license on them until I can get to the vSphere 5 upgrade.

According to the lincese comparison char mention here, No Memory limit on Enterprise Plus license

Can I still install ESXi 4.1 on a box with more than 256GB's of memory  or will I have to pull some memory out for everything to function

You want to pull out the memory if you are unable to install the ESXi

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

know that the limitation on ESXi 4.1 is 256GB's of memory.  Can I still install ESXi 4.1 on a box with more than 256GB's of memory or will I have to pull some memory out for everything to function?

Well, that isn't correct....You can assign a max of 255GB memory to a single virtual machine...

The host itself can have a max of 1TB installed..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos