VMware Cloud Community
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1 hardware tab problem

vSphere client = 4.1.0 Build 258902

vCenter  Server = 4.10 Build 258902

Software installed on each ESXi 4.1 server (most are ProLiant DL360 G6)

hpq-esxi4.1uX-bundle-1.0a

hp-nmi-driver-1.1.02

Open ports between vCenter and ESXi 4.1  = tcp 5989  bidirectional (port is also opened between vSphere hop and vCenter )

My problem :

When i click on hardware tab sometimes it shows up sensors information (WORKING) but sometimes shows Hardware monitoring service on this host is not responding or not available . I'm not sure why this happening. I have over 80 ESXi hosts in this vCenter and 90% of them are in different Countries (1 server in one office) and most of them have problem with hardware tab. I'm pretty sure that is network based because i have cluster with 10 nodes and there is no problems because they are all in one datacenter.

Can I increase timeout for collection data between vCenter and ESXi host?

Any ideas what I can do about it or how to troubleshoot it more advanced?

Greetings

V.Hristev

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When connected directly the hardware data is available at Configuration > Hardware > Health Status.

A disconnect / reconnect preserves performance data (not so if you choose the remove option).  If you try a disconnect I would start with a single host not in an HA cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.  If you disconnect and reconnect a host does that clear up the issue?  Does the hardware status display correctly if you connect directly with the vSphere client run on the vCenter host?

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Dave ,

I don't have installed hardaware plugin on my vSphere and when i connect directly I don't have hardware tab.

This is production env and to install something I need to make it with change it's little hard here.I didn't try to disconnect and reconnect the host to the vCenter (if i disconnect it from vCenter I will lose my perfomance data or I'm wrong?).

Thank you

V.Hristev

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When connected directly the hardware data is available at Configuration > Hardware > Health Status.

A disconnect / reconnect preserves performance data (not so if you choose the remove option).  If you try a disconnect I would start with a single host not in an HA cluster.

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Dave,

When I connect directly I see sensors.

When i disconnect and connect it again now I see hardware tab.

Thank very much about your answer now I will try this on all other my hosts that have same issue.

Do you have idea why is this happening?

I will try to do it this way:

1st check directly if it is OK

2nd I will disconnect and then connect the host.

It will be very helpful if I know what cause this issue

Best regards

V.Hristev

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Dave,

Today I checked server I reconnect yesterday but now I see "Hardware monitoring service on this host is not responding or not available" maybe this is temporary fix. If I connect directly to ESXi host i see health status is working and it's all green.

I will open case to VMware support to investigate why this is happening.

0 Kudos
EV_Simon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Check your name resolution is working correctly because I had similar issues previously.

To get mine working I did the following http://www.everything-virtual.com/?p=207. That fixed my issues with hardware monitoring\sensors not working.

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello ,

I'm sure I don't have resolve problems but I will check that you post .

Thank you

0 Kudos