VMware Cloud Community
4Ransom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1 from HP

Hi,

I have an HP Proliant server and want to turn it into an ESXi host. I saw that HP offers a download of ESXi 4.1 here.

So I am wondering what the differences are between that version and the version I get directly from VMware. Which one should I use? Pros/cons to either?

Also, I was planning on installing ESXi to an internal 2GB USB flash drive I got from HP. Is there any reason why this is a bad idea in a production environment, or will this be fine?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Take a look at posts Custmon Dell, IBM and HP esxi 4.0 installable iso's and ESXi 4.x Installable HP Customized ISO Image DNA where you can learn some information about differences are between original & HP versions.

Take a look to some advantages / disadvantages at Loading ESXi Installable on a USB drive: The requirements.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Take a look at posts Custmon Dell, IBM and HP esxi 4.0 installable iso's and ESXi 4.x Installable HP Customized ISO Image DNA where you can learn some information about differences are between original & HP versions.

Take a look to some advantages / disadvantages at Loading ESXi Installable on a USB drive: The requirements.

0 Kudos
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would also make sure you apply the update listed in this blog post.

http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2010/10/12/esxi-4-x-installable-hp-customized-iso-image-dna/

regards

dougie

4Ransom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, both very helpful!

One more quick question: If I want to install ESXi to my USB flash drive as I mentioned, can I use the install CD to install it to the USB drive on any machine, then just stick that drive in my server and boot off it, or does the install process install drivers specific to the machine it's running on at the time of install?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are many reasons why it is more preferable to install ESXi on the flash drive directly on the server which you are going to use as a ESXi server.