VMware Cloud Community
AJRussell
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 download

Morning,

I hate my first post to make me come across like a prat, but I'm running ESXi 4 on a VM - I wish to upgrade to 4.1 due to the licensing restraints on 5 but the website wont let me, everytime i select the 'download' link for version 4.1 or any update it sends me to the ESXi 5 trial!

I dont want the bloody trial of a product which will only give me a 1/3 of my hosts capacity.  Any ideas where I can download.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Andrew

Try Downloading it from this link:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/hypervisor_esxi41u1/ZCV0YnRkKipiZColcA

How much is allocated to your VM running ESXi?

regards

PduPreez

0 Kudos
AJRussell
Contributor
Contributor

When i click it takes me to version 5 Smiley Sad

I have just relised that i no longer have ESx4 licensing options in my account either, possibly that the problem?

Andrew

0 Kudos
AJRussell
Contributor
Contributor

I think its a licensing problem - tried to register my license and it says its already registered to me, but didnt display the domain - now its going to be a case of working out where my license is registered to gain access, i believe!

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Andrew

Not sure about the fact that it takes you to ESXi5 download

Try this sequence, I just tested it and it worked for me:

- Click on download ESXi 4.1 U1 at the bottom on this link.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esxi41/dHdlYmRoaGRiZHRAag==

Also Please explain your concern about the vRAM licensing.

How much RAM is allocated to your VM running the ESXi installation?

regards

Pieter

0 Kudos
AJRussell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

That download link appears to work but says i dont have access - so i believe i need to identifiy the account that my serial is registered to, as its not this one. Any ideas how to identifiy a serial to an account - as the email address is not one I can identifiy, although the email starts with my name :smileyplain:

Andrew

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Andrew

Send a mail to customer_service@vmware.com stating your issue and include all detail you can, Serial Numbers Ect.

I'm still waiting for and answer on the ESXi 5 Licensing issue you raised Smiley Happy

I just want to make sure you know the latest allocations for vSphere 5, So I attached a screenshot

regards

Pieter

Please award points if this is correct or helpful

0 Kudos
AJRussell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the email address - will send details to them shortly.

I need to attach a USB device to a VM, but from reading the vmware website, there is a bug in v4.0 where it cannot attach USB devices - Article

Thus I need to update to 4.1 to achieve this, I would happily update to ESXi 5 - but its my understanding that for the free copy there is a 8GB limit per HOST (not VM) correct me if I am wrong.  Where I have two hosts running 24GB each i would be in a bit of bind with resource allocation.

4.1 is a short term update - we have a vCentre datacentre licese for three hosts in our datacentre in which many of the VM's internally will be moved.

Andrew

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

but its my understanding that for the free copy there is a 8GB limit per HOST (not VM) correct me if I am wrong

Hi Andrew

This was the initial limit that was announced in July. VMware has changed this to 32GB for the free (Standard) version per host. ( See previous attachment)

This means that you will be fine with 24GB per host Smiley Happy

Happy virtualizing on vSphere 5

Pieter

Please award points if you find this correct or helpfull

AJRussell
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant - probably no need to contact support on the ESXi 4 license, might as well just upgrade to 5!

Cheers

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Andrew

I hope you managed to sort out your licenses

Please mark this discussion as completed. Smiley Happy

regards

Pieter

0 Kudos