VMware Cloud Community
RL4422
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 doesn't recognize USB tape drive as SCSI like 4.0 did

Good morning,

I scoured this community before asking my question, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.  I didn't see anything related, but that might be a problem on my end Smiley Happy

Vmware 4.0 - we used to be able to "Add SCSI device" and add our USB tape drives.  This also worked in 3.5

Vmware 4.1 - no longer recognizes our USB tape drives as a SCSI device.  Honestly, this makes sense - but it means big trouble for us.

Our newest software release versions support USB tape drives, so they are ok.  4.1 does allow us to add the tape drives as USB, and everything is fine.  But most of our software that we are developing on now is older - and does not support USB tape drives.  I have already gone to my systems and development teams asking to patch back this functionality for USB tape drives to our older versions - but based on their replies it may not be possible.  So it looks like I need a fix on the Vmware side of things.  We are trying to keep most of our servers at 4.0 and not upgrade - but 4.1 is being loaded like crazy all over my building.  5.0 even.

My question, what happened from 4.0 to 4.1 that changed this?  and is there a way around it???

Thank you!

0 Kudos
0 Replies