VMware Cloud Community
axl1971
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 - adding NIC as stand by will I lose network connectivity for a short time

I have a few ESXI 4.1 servers with 2 phsycal network adapters.

I have noticed in the vSwitch only one network card is assigned, if I was to add the second network card to the vswitch and set it up as a stand by will this cause any disruption in the newtwork.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming that the vSwitch is configured with default settings. and the physical switch port is also configured properly, then you shouldn't see any disruptions.

André

0 Kudos
axl1971
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thanks for reply yes default settings as below - as you can see only a single NIC assigned, I have another NIC that is available and will add it to the vswitch as stand by

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Go for it.

Btw. unless there's a special reason for this, I'd suggest you configure both vmnics as Active Adapters. This way the VMs will be distributed across the vmnics in a round robin manner once they are powered on.

André

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Adding NIC to vswitch as standby does not cause any outage or disruption but you need to understand what is meant by standby .

Standby means, it will not work until there is a network fail situation. So if there is any very sensitive app running then obviously it will detect a network failover may for a couple of RTO.

If you really want to avoid any disruption, you need to add additional adapter in Active list so that before sending the packet to destination vswitch will detect all the working NIC and send the packet as per its load balancing policy.

Thanks.

For more, visit  vmwarediary.com or vmwarediary.in

0 Kudos