VMware Cloud Community
TCNS
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 Update 1 - Unable to find system image to install

I'm hoping you can help me with this one as I am now racking my brains.

I am trying to install ESXi 4.1 Update 1 on a HP Proliant ML350 G6 via an internal USB stick. I have burned the ISO to a CD and have been able to load the installer, but when it comes to installing ESXi onto the drivekey I get the following message:

"Unable to find the system image to install. This is due to the image not being mounted correctly or the CD-ROM not being supported."

I have updated the system ROM to the latest version, I have attempted to switch the Boot Controller order in the hope that that would solve it; I have tried to use an external USB CD-ROM drive but cannot get the server to boot from it. I have used two new CDs with the same issue both times.

In thinking that this would be a problem with the optical drive I attempted to do the install from a bootable USB stick but got a different problem, whereby before it even reached the installation menu it said it could not continue because it could not find a network interface card that was not already claimed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TCNS
Contributor
Contributor

I did consider changing the optical drive but wanted to be sure before I went gutting another machine for it's drive!

That has worked perfectly, thank you for the quick answer.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

great to hear that you gotten it resolved ...

0 Kudos