VMware Cloud Community
thatnewguy
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 U1 boot from SAN - starts to work, but doesn't

I have a Dell PowerEdge R610 server (bios 3.0) and a PS4000e Equallogic SAN server (fmw 5.0.4) and I'm using a Dell PowerConnect 5424 GbE switch.  I've been able to get so far to actually get the SAN volume attached to install the ESXi software, but during the reboot after intall, the SAN volume attaches but hangs on ESXi boot up.  I can see the connection to the SAN volume with the ESXi install is made, but it hangs before I see any bootup process.  Any idea why?  I've seen documentation saying ESXi 4.1 update 1 should now work for BFS.

I've configured my Dell 5424 switch for:

-No iscsi enable

-Spanning-tree mode rstp

-Interface range ethernet all
-Speed 1000
-Duplex full
-Flowcontrol on

-No port storm-control broadcast enable

-Port jumbo-frame

-I've also disabled STP on all ports that don't connect to another switch

I have the R610 configured for ISCSI boot. Like I said, on the first install I set the R610's "boot to iscsi target : one time disabled" so as soon as the volume is attached, it boots from CD to install the ESXi software. That part is successful. At end of install, it asks to reboot and will get as far as attaching the san volume successfully, but it doens't boot up.

Message on screen where it hangs is:

Logging in the 1st iscsi target : succeeded

iscsi target drive : EQLOGIC 100E-00   (Rev : 5.0)

I see when logging into the SAN manager that the connection to the volume is made.  It seems to disconnect after several minutes.

I've seen documentation about needing to enable ARP Redirection but I don't know where (san server, switch, r610, all of them) I configure that or how to do it.  Anyone know that piece?

I've tried on two different R610s, one with BIOS 3.0, one with BIOS 2.2.10. Neither with success. I've been able to use this process to install a working wk8 server bfs, but esxi won't boot.  Please help - running out of hair to pull out!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lostjames
Contributor
Contributor

Have you read the official documentation? - page 61 onwards (apologies in advance if you have)

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf

0 Kudos