VMware Cloud Community
siebenborn
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 PowerEdge T710 Best Support Install

Hi,

I'm looking to buy 4 news servers from DELL The PowerEdge T710 connected to a EQUALOGIC 4000.

My question is what is the best support to install the ESXi OS?

- USB key

- Dell VMware Embeded card

- Sata drive in Raid 1

Thanks for your reaction

DS

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would go with the Dell Embedded card. The Dell card would be the most supported version of Embedded on that server. There is very litle writing to the SD card and ESXi loads directly into RAM. No need for any local drives. Less heat and power at the server end.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

it's just must, i would go for RAID 1 setup. Anything without a redudancy freaks me out.

0 Kudos
sidavid1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

You said that ESX will load in RAM, so USB is also good. The Dell Embeded card cost be 1000 dollars because you need to have next 4 hours support.

If my USB or something happen, I can load a new USB key with EXi installed on it no??

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

I prefer the Dell SD card.

Note that there is a SD for iDRAC and a SD for the hypervisor (you need this).

With the R810 there is also the "mirrored" SD option.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
sidavid1
Contributor
Contributor

You prefer the DELL SC card but why? if he costs me 1000 dollars per ESX (I will buy 4 new ESX servers). The ESXi will run in RAM anyway. That's why I do not undersstand why a DELL Card or SATA Controler is necessary? I have USB ports on the motherboard with a T710, this is perfect to plug the USB key with EXSi OS.

Is it a performance issue with the USB?

Thanks in advance

DS

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

it's just must, i would go for RAID 1 setup. Anything without a redudancy freaks me out.

The Dell server does have redundant SD available.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

USB would be identical to thost embedded ESXi (it's either USB or SD card) and it will just work as normal. for me i did not see any difference.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Is it a performance issue with the USB?

USB works just fine but you should be able to install to a self installed SD card as well. There is no performance issue with USB since as I said it launches directly into RAM. I use USB and I have even removed the USB  stick while it was up and running. The only issues were the configuration backup failures every hour. Obviously I wouldn't do this a production setting.

Routers and switches have used flash for years and been extremely reliable. Servers have used hard drives (and we have all replaced many failed ones) and it is difficult to change our belief that big fast servers need big fast disks. The costs savings in disks and controllers combined with the power and heat savings make it an obvious choice as far as I am concerned.

0 Kudos