VMware Cloud Community
Kilo11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1 Numa node 1 Error

Heres the error I am getting upon launch of ESXi 4.1 and 4.0.

The system has found a problem with your machine and cannot continue.

The BIOS reports that NUMA node 1 has no memory. This problem is either caused by a bad BIOS or a very unbalanced distribution of memory modules.

The problem is I only have 1 memory module of 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz Kingston memory, with only 1 CPU in the first socket, from what I read I have to buy more RAM, unfortunately, I do not need more than 8 GB of RAM currently and that is just not feasible for me at the moment. I really just want to get VMWare installed so I can run CentOS and 2008 R2. Is there a way to ignore the error? Obviously I cannot distribute a single stick of RAM across multiple slots.

This is a custom built server so the specs are posted below:

CPU: AMD Opteron 6128 @ 2.0 GHz w/ 8 Cores

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz Kingston RAM

Motherboard: ASUS KGPE-D16

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Enable Node Interleaving in BIOS so that NUMA will be disable

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If not mistaken certain slots of the DIMMS are meant for 1st CPU and 2nd CPU. What i would suggest is to re-read the documentation of the motherboard and reseat the memory modules on DIMMs that are meant for 1st CPU.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Enable Node Interleaving in BIOS so that NUMA will be disable

0 Kudos
Kilo11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for the help. I got it to work, disabled the SRAT Table and I just enabled Interweaving.

Regarding the DIMM placement, like I mentioned before I have only one RAM stick with one CPU. In the manual and from my personal experience the ECC RAM goes in the first slot always if its the only RAM stick. Since I only have one CPU, I don't need to place it in any of the CPU 2 slots for RAM.

In all, I wish I could keep it on, but it looks like I have no other choice.

0 Kudos
ScottM149
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For HP DL580 with 2 processors, I found this:
Memory cartridge population guidelines
This server contains 8 memory cartridge slots in the processor memory drawer. Observe the following guidelines:
  • Populate memory cartridge slots for a processor only if the processor is installed where:
    • Processor 1 connects to cartridge slots 1 and 2.

• Processor 2 connects to cartridge slots 3 and 4.

• Processor 3 connects to cartridge slots 5 and 6.

• Processor 4 connects to cartridge slots 7 and 8.

• Minimum recommended cartridge population is one cartridge per processor. For best performance two cartridges per processor are recommended.

• Processors installed without corresponding memory cartridges will incur high memory access latencies and is not recommended.

• To maximize performance in multi-processor configurations distribute the total memory capacity evenly between all processors. 

• NOTE:  My server was configured incorrectly by HP.   All I had to do is move 1 of the memory cartridges to the second processor

0 Kudos