VMware Cloud Community
JK224
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1/MD3000i Missing Target

Hello All,

I have ESXi 4.1 running on a Dell R610 with 4 NIC's connected independently to all 4 controller ports on my MD3000i (dual controllers). These are direct connect with no switch in between and is the only server connected. 3 of my targets connect but controller 1/1 will not. The MD3000i shows 3 connections. The software adapter properties shows all 4 targets under Static Discovery.

I've been working with Dell support and their only answer is that ESXi 4.1 is not supported with the MD3000i at this time and I need to downgrade to 4.0.

I have attached screenshots of my vmk's, the 3 connected targets in storage adapters and the list of static targets discovered for the software initiator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

MD3000i is fully supported with vSphere 4.1

But you must apply latest firmware version and use switch, not a direct attach.

And you must use 2 vmkernel interfaces not 4 on two logical network.

Have a look on Dell site, there is a configuration guide quite clear.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
JK224
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the response. The document you referenced is the one I used for the initial configuration and Dell changed it to the current config. Also, the MD3000i documentation specifically states that 4.1 is not supported. Supposedly there is a firmware update coming out "soon". Bottom line is it works anyway. Direct connect is supported by Dell.

The good news is I was able to get the final target to connect. I had to add the second subnet in dynamic discovery and rescan. Originally I had both subnets listed but Dell had me remove all but one. Strange. Anyway, we're up and running at full speed finally.

John.

0 Kudos
armaniseal
Contributor
Contributor

MZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMMZZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMZMúR}U·ÚÌEÐ Cª*

ÃŒ Îav

£ªæ“±qã¯u“å Ý + ¸r;í´ ›" zÝo¿ýrOV(p‘cQ‰OúÓýh‰A­ jxW| Ûë{/Jè Ô‘—‰Î ÚåŽ

½ýío·/wŸ}ö©¸Ïä”sMD”†

^œÐ[ùŠ fåAåáð *<MùÙŠq/ ÅŽ ¬ Kf¤û!}Ò\

cD’ÖsÎ9gÐJš ý` $‚½&Ö(Y ±úê«—_9'n›m¶¡ ˜`u‘×MšœuÖYYI

kó ßüæ7ËÊg‡ëÚO—›2£‹'¸<é^´H6 + =ôÐÔÞ

È ÝíHÅFåöCmá „q— s`7_ n³†xETQ l¨” ùm½- 5¾óïäóœîô„3^ >Š ýºÜ”™M x‚Ë£Òk º·ŒÐœúW¾ò >]àTN 94:â·¡òÈ –R %ÆÜ,¾øâR&Yÿ•S!³œ `iØ'?ùɨ<ƒåñ³Ô 6£˜©ˆ2ÖUˆ‹gýôŠí¾eáFyô3Xc¼Ì \ öC‘–ÂŁˆ– §ŠþÉO~R*Û:cŒñQ àÕew ){nM ìºë®‰UÏ­Û²¤Ó) õs–² ß2‚ò+ jœë mÊ ¯/|á £‡c

ÃÃÀ<!*Óð¡H-œ1Å ÷÷Üsu7 Û G}’TøwàpÙe—5± ¤-´TZ@b@¯xÅ+Ì6Ô €:™?ܺ„Áì„ñ¢HÒ c= ¸ü¶±ú ¯±\ì z —` ¹{"£˜ËZ>3\ ¥†€¨¸]¥Ü ‹ÆÔ›ˆ’¸Ri«šåtœ‰ Fåèù“ƒÈ,ò¡Ÿ¤RŽ ÛêÛßþvÀ >ãðào¾ ; xÂÊ£Ô¢ qíÀ {¬’ ø 1ÝÞèØá‘f 6Ê JÏ J¢$œtä‘G–g X~e¹#A“ɹ•dø”3h–Sš'U¡Uc!˜bì¾øÅ/ à櫱‰q/ê $Ÿt IÖ×ÑƯ}íkQ| °èQ ûT³C §&žÚ ºJË…Ï%rgÖ¬\u© «.¤7øã ÿ ‚ÆRUë'£r t¹iÙ É ÷o É  ­û°)3F00ÎäQ]ú”nBeæ8ÌþüD Õ ­L!ÚØ}¾’:£œ ê`ÒI Þ ¹¿0Xgº¹å–[Úó±Ùf›•C ón ¼„xJ

AN=ÿùÏ $û+©@fe¡]¾úÕ¯æ«þÇ®)9610Îäѐx>ã ý裏v6†

bæz

0 Kudos