VMware Cloud Community
abouch
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 LTO Tape and HP P212 Smart Array Controller

Hi All

I've just built a new HP Proliant DL160 G6 with an HP P212 Smart Array Controller (SAS)

All of the equipment is on the supported hardware compatibility lists.

However we have an HP Ultrium 3000 LTO 5 SAS tape drive attached.

Initially the tape drive had to be turned off in order to install ESXi.

Once installed - if the tape drive is turned on - it appears as LUN 0 - on Smart Array P212 - vmhba1 - an no other devices appear. None of the hard drives that are connected internally to the P212 controller show up.

If the tape drive is turned off - then the disks connected to the P212 appear as storage devices and can be assigned to datastores.

So - my question is - is there anything we can do to get both the LTO tape drive, and the hard disks to appear at the same time?

The DL 160 G6 is a 1U rack mounted server - and the P212 is already taking up the main PCI slot - so adding another SAS HBA is not an option.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated...

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BETTERBITS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi abouch,

could you solve your problem?

I am sorry I can't help you if not, but I am really interested in your DL160 G6 configuration because its not officialy supported by HP and VMWARE but I still want to buy it.

So is your system stable and how is the performance?

Is it possible to manage everything over the vSphere Client, for example can you see the temperature/fan speed/power supply status?

I would very very happy if you answer me.

Kind regards,

BB

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The DL160 G6 is on the HCL. http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=search&deviceCategory=server&key=DL1...

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
BETTERBITS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DSTAVERT,

thanks four your reply, it is only on the list for ESX not for ESXi.

Kind regards,

BB

0 Kudos