VMware Cloud Community
allb18c
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.1 - Host Profile - AD Integration

I have started work on going from classic ESX 4.0 to ESXi 4.1 and incorporating host profiles with AD integration. When I add a ESXI host manually into AD it works just fine. So, I went ahead and tested a host profile with AD intregration. When I apply the host profile to a newly built host it will eventually ask me for credentials which is fine, but then when I hit join domain it just sits there and does nothing. Additionally hitting the next button doesnt do anything either. I go in and remove the join domain field and the host profile applies just fine.

Has anyone tried this yet and does it work? Same outcome as me? Possible bug?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Sounds like a bug to me. I would contact your VMware Support Representative and open a bug report. I have heard of some issues with the likewise AD integration but nothing dealing with host profiles.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you ever get a resolution on this? I am having the same problem...

Thanks.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
0 Kudos
allb18c
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope.

I just went ahead and created the host profile sans the AD integration part.

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What format are you entering the credentials? I believe you just enter the account name rather than domain\account name (and the password).

0 Kudos
nrhudso
Contributor
Contributor

I added the host to the domain but needed to user the credentional username and password in the format of myuser@mycomain.com and then entered the password.  i cannot get this to work while applying a host profile to another host and have removed it from the profile to manually add the server after other profile settings have been applied. I think there is a bug in this that VMware is working on but have not submitted SR for this as of yet.

Nate Hudson Senior Systems Engineer West Bend Mutual Insurance
0 Kudos
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've also run afoul of this issue, but with the added complication that the host profile editor will not allow me to remove the authentication section. What, if anything, did you do to remove the "Authentication Configuration" section?

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue still hasn't been resolved yet? Created host profile from ESXi 4.1 Update 1 (build 433742). AD authentication still doesn't do anything.

Instead of trying to join the domain I simply clicked "cancel" and the profile will apply. Looks like we will need to manually add to the domain.

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also it seems using the format {username@company.com} instead of {company\username} is helpful too.

I was able to successfully add the machine to the domain.

0 Kudos