VMware Cloud Community
legacyb4
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 & Dell Management Agents

Setting up a new host with ESXi 4.1 and wondering if anyone has had luck getting Dell OMSA installed?

This link was provided by Dell tech but am having trouble getting the install script to run with the following error:

./srvadmin-install.sh: line 44: function: not found

Any suggestions on how to get this stuff installed? It'd be nice to be able to manage the RAID stuff without having to boot into BIOS.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

That is for ESX, ESXi is slightly different with regard to 3rd party apps. Did Dell happen to mention if they have instructions for ESXi? That's what we need.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

This is what you want:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&releaseid=R275661&Sys...

Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think the Dell, HP, IBM etc. versions of ESXi 4.1 have been released. The Dell versions usually come with the proper CIM modules and the Open Manage agents already installed.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think the Dell, HP, IBM etc. versions of ESXi 4.1 have been released.

I'd say you were wrong. Instructions state it's specifically for ESX 4.1

VMWare ESXi 4.1

Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi << return to results

Release Date: 7/19/2010

Version: 6.3.0, A00

Download Type: Application

File Format: Hard Drive

File Size: 4 MB

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think the Dell, HP, IBM etc. versions of ESXi 4.1 have been released.

I'd say you were wrong. Instructions state it's specifically for ESX 4.1

I was referring to the Hardware specific versions or ESXi

0 Kudos
legacyb4
Contributor
Contributor

Doh, have to learn how read the filenames more accurately...

Here's the short link to the file:

However, the installed version of OM_6.2.0_Man_Node_A00.exe doesn't appear to support 6.3 system agents and won't let me log in.

Instructions from Dell state:

<![endif]><![if gte mso 9]>

*_Installing OpenManage Managed Node ver. 6.2 on a

Windows Machine_*

14. *Download OpenManage Server Administrator

Managed Node version 6.2* from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server

Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

What's the correct software package to use on a Windows machine to manage the server?

0 Kudos
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just did this earlier today...

http://search.dell.com/searchcom_redirect.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&k=OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.3...

If that link doesn't work, search for "OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.3.0-2075_A00.20" on http://support.dell.com/. You'll only get 1 hit.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
legacyb4
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, just found that as you posted. Would have been easier to find in the FTP directory if Dell stuck with consistent file naming!

For the ESXi 4.1 server:

For the Windows workstation to manage the server:

Thanks everyone for helping!

0 Kudos
PepsiGuy2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm confused on what to install on a new Dell R710.

Should I install:

ESXi 4.1 Installable (CD ISO) 07/13/10 | 4.1 | 300 MB | Binary (.iso)

Then Install Dell Management Agents (from link in previous post) - Zip file of 4Meg.

Or should I install:

ESXi 4.1 from Dell's website which lists it as "386 MB" which is 86MB larger then VMware's ISO.

Link: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&releaseid=R270743&Sy...

I was thinking that the Dell version just had the management agents already installed, but the 86MB size difference doesn't add up. Maybe Dell mislabeled the download and its really ESX and not ESXi?

If I go with the VMWare ISO install, what is the process of installing the management agents zip file? I assume its not as easy as an upload menu option in the vSphere client. Do you need to use the "vihostupdate.pl" file to upload this?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Or should I install:

ESXi 4.1 from Dell's website which lists it as "386 MB" which is 86MB larger then VMware's ISO.

Personally I would install the Dell version. Do note however that it does not include OpenManage components. You still must install those separately.

I was thinking that the Dell version just had the management agents already installed, but the 86MB size difference doesn't add up. Maybe Dell mislabeled the download and its really ESX and not ESXi?

The download is for ESXi 4.1 and not ESX.

If I go with the VMWare ISO install, what is the process of installing the management agents zip file? I assume its not as easy as an upload menu option in the vSphere client. Do you need to use the "vihostupdate.pl" file to upload this?

You do use the vihostupdate.pl to install the agents. The instructions are with the download on the Dell website.

0 Kudos
PepsiGuy2
Contributor
Contributor

So if the Dell ESXi ISO version doesn't include the management agent, what does it have that the base VMWare ISO doesn't have? It would seem that 86MB of "extras" would include something interesting. Maybe some type of hardware / RAID monitoring? I wonder if the vSphere client will show anything different between the two versions.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Read the description on the Dell website for information about the Dell version.

0 Kudos
josephus
Contributor
Contributor

From Dell website:

Dell customization of the  ISO image for ESXi 4.x is minimal and primarily focused on modifying  the URLs to redirect support from VMware to Dell.
• The files that Dell creates or modifies as a part of customizing VMware Installable ISO image are:
– etc/vmware/oem.xml
– etc/vmware/support

I have extracted the dd image from both of the ISOs and mounted the FAT partitions individually:

new files:

cimstgc.tgz - a bunch of MOF files in /var/lib/sfcb

changed files:

m.z

oem.tgz - the mentioned oem.xml and support links

pkgdb.tgz - dummy(?) oem-dell-he bundle

vibddi

The compression difference must be because of different paddings or some other changes in the non FAT partitions.

So how do I upgrade the Dell 4.0 to Dell 4.1?

Will the upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip work with a Dell ESXi 4.0 install?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You should be just fine. Have you checked the Dell website for an upgrade bundle 4.0 to 4.1? I would add the Dell ofline bundle after you upgrade if there isn't an 4/0 to 4.1 upgrade available.

0 Kudos
venkyVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The link(ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.4.0-1266.VIB-ESX41i_A00.7.zip) on Dells support site is somehow broken for DELL R710... The version is OM 6.4 . Once you download this zip file you can copy it to your ESXi Box and then issue the command:

esxupdate --nosigcheck -b file:///<zip-file-name> --maintenancemode update

This will install the Dell OM.

Other ways to do it:

Your Dell R710 ships with the OM DVD.

1) Mount the DVD.

2) Issue suu -c , which will generate a comparison report(This displays the components which are already installed / upgradeable / fresh installed ones)

3) Issue suu -u , which will upgrade / install the OM MA on your ESXi

0 Kudos
PapaCheops
Contributor
Contributor

When installing / updating the Dell OM agents on ESX/ESXi (using esxupdate or vihostupdate.pl from the vSphere CLI) do you have to worry about previous versions, or will the update process take care of that?

I have existing servers w/ OM-SrvAdmin 6.3.0 bits installed, and I want to update to the 6.5.0 2247 version released on 3/27/2011.

0 Kudos
venkyVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The comparison report generated by Dell OM will tell you that u have 6.3 installed and also its upgradable to 6.5. You need not remove the bits , it will be upgraded.

But just make sure with dell that 6.3 to 6.5 is a supported path. Or else you might need to upgrade to 6.4 and then to 6.5 which is a reasonably safe option.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
tschutte
Contributor
Contributor

Another option is to import the "Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi" into VCenter Update Manager and create a new baseline for your Dell ESXi hosts.  This lets Update Manager handle the update/upgrade versus booting into SUU.

0 Kudos
PapaCheops
Contributor
Contributor

Oh thats a GREAT idea!  I need to research importing into VUM, but that sounds like the best option yet, as I'm already using VUM to handle all the host updates.

Thanks!

0 Kudos