VMware Cloud Community
RTmxa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1 Connectivity issues

I am running an ESXi 4.1.0 Build 260247 server. I have assigned and IP but am unable to connect to the box using vSphere.

I have looked at the following post

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1650156

I get the same error messages as pointed out in that bug.

The only way I can get the system to work is by having a continuous ping from the ESXi box to the gateway.

Also when I do install VM's on this ESXi host sharing the same NIC, those VM's are able to access the network but vSphere just does not connect.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just a quick scan of your earlier posts makes me want to ask if it is possible that you have duplicate MAC addresses somewhere on your network??

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just a quick scan of your earlier posts makes me want to ask if it is possible that you have duplicate MAC addresses somewhere on your network??

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

0 Kudos
RTmxa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are right. My Management Network has the same MAC across installations. (I am taking a disk image of the hypervisor and using this as part of scripted installation)

How do I force the Management Network to take a different MAC on each install in script?

Thanks a lot for the pointer

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could have your install script just remove the management NIC and then add it back again but there are other potential issues. There are several places where you will have duplicated UUIDs. If you need to make many then I would look at 4.1 and scripted installs.

0 Kudos
rmacho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue, but I'm on running ESXi 4.0.0 releasebuild 171294 and vSphere 4.0.0. I'm doing a POC and had been running for about 30 days with no problems, but came in this last Monday and notice that the ESXi host had disconnected from vSphere. I tried to connect, but it kept telling me that there were networking issues or the management network may need to be restarted.

Restarting the management network on the host works since I can then reconnect from vSphere, but it disconnects again anywhere from 90 seconds to 2 minutes later. I noticed that running  "test management network", the pings always are "ok" for the gateway, but fail half the time for the DNS servers. Ping is testing layer 1 so that should be a physical problem somewhere, right?

I only have 1 NIC in the host system and the host is only running 1 active VM provisioned through View. While I'm having the host disconnect and reconnect problems, the user isn't having any problems at all so the VM isn't experiencing any network problems that I can tell.

I spent time working through the problem last night checking network cables, connections and did replace some dodgy looking cables, but didn't change the symptoms at all. One thing that keeps bugging me though is that I had this running nonstop for 30 days and then our IT admin did work in the server room over the weekend and on Monday the problem was noticed. But the only place I notice the problem is the connection between vSphere and ESXi host, the View connection server is fine

and the only thing I could do to keep the host connected to vSphere was to run a continuous ping from the vSphere server to the host IP. So far, the host has been connected all night and into this morning.

What is different about the Management Network vs the VM network since they are both going through the same virtual switch and the same NIC?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Rafael

0 Kudos