VMware Cloud Community
sdietz
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 - Can't connect from vConverter but can ping

Hi All,

I am trying to run a conversion on a windows server to an ESXi 4.1 server. I've put the ESXi server on our local private LAN and the server I am also convertering is on the private lan. From the server, I can ping the ESXi 4.1 box but I can't connect while trying to run the conversion. Here is the error:

"A general error occurec: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

The ESXi 4.1 is just a default installation. Is there something more I need to change in the setup to allow connections?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

• Where is vConverter installed ?
  • can you ping ESXi from server where vConverter is installed ?
  • can you ping source server and vConverter server from ESXi hosts ?
  • do you use DNS or IP ?
  • what version of Converter do you use ?
  • can you connect via vSphere clinet to ESXi server ?

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
ETastic
Contributor
Contributor

What OS are you trying to convert?

Is the converter installed on that local server? If not then install it onto that server then do a local conversion and select your ESXi host durring the setup.

Make sure you are using the newest converter available unless this is windows 2k server, then you'll need the older one.

0 Kudos
sdietz
Contributor
Contributor

- The vConverter is installed on the local Windows Server 2008 machine.

- I can ping the ESXi machine from the local server

- I have not tried to ping from ESXi to source server

- I am using the local private IP (10.0.0.5) to connect to the ESXi

- I am using vConverter 4

- No I can't connect via vsphere. If I go to 10.0.0.5 in web broswer the ESXi page does not load

I am begining to think it's the way the physical wiring is setup. The source server is a virtual machine with 3 NIC's. The ESXi machine hosting the source server has 3 vSwitches also.

Thanks for reply.

0 Kudos
ETastic
Contributor
Contributor

Silly question but since this is server 2008, is it 32 or 64 bit and are you running the converter as administrator? (Right-click the converter and choose run as - administrator).

From that server can you open a web browser, type in the ip address for your ESXi server and reach it's web page?

If you can then you're able to reach the server and networking shouldn't be your issue... user name and password used to connect correct?

What is the exact version of the converter you're running?

-Cheers-

0 Kudos