VMware Cloud Community
ReedMikel2
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1: Can a removable hard drive (SATA) be made available to guests (VMs)?

Hi All,

I have my ESXi 4.1 host running on a Dell PE T610. I have a Tandberg Data RDX Quickstor 300GB removable SATA drive that I would like to use as a backup device with one of my VMs (Win SBS 2008). In vSphere Client I see the drive listed under the tab (not under ). I know I can add it as a 2nd datastore, but I really only want my VMs, rather than the host, to have access to it. If I do add it as a datastore, I do not think I can use it as a removable drive with my VM(s).

I am a VMware newbie, so maybe I am just overlooking something simple?

Attached is a screen shot from my vSphere Client showing the Configuration->Hardware->Storage tab info. I have no idea what the Path Selection options for this device are used for. The online help is quite useless, as it simply reiterate the same vague terminology as on the screen Smiley Sad

TIA,

-Mike

0 Kudos
56 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There isn't any reason you can't mount your removable storage devices to an NFS datastore. Mount and unmount them at will. Since Openfiler, Freenas etc. can support CIFS and NFS at the same time and using the same share it is possible to not only clone VMs but also use the removable device for your important offsite file storage.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

I got the Hot-swap RDX working via a physical RDM, not a virtual. I used post #11 as reference and the “CREATING A PHYSICAL RDM” section at http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/SATA_RDMs.php

A few steps not explained clearly in that document and I had trouble with as a VM Nub:

- I’m running ESXi 4.1, so I didn’t have to do any tricks to enable SSH. Just turned on the “Enable Remote Troubleshooting (SSH)” option from the console. This maybe wasn’t in older versions of ESXi, anyway didn't need to do anything weird to enable it.

- As mentioned in Step 3 in the above instructions, you need to have a datastore for the RDM VMDK file(s). If you notice he’s in “/vmfs/volumes/(some number)/RDMs. I did a ‘ls –l /vmfs/volumes’ to figure what the “some number” was of the datastore I wanted to put these files into. Then changed into that directory before running the ‘vmkfstools’ command. If you want then make the "RDMs" directory -- this is (hopefully) going to be my only RDM so I didn't make a subdiretory.

- Once the RDM1.vmdk, or whatever you called the file is created, to add it to the VM I had to “Use an existing virtual disk” as the “Raw Device Mapping” option was still 'grayed out' for me. I hought I was still supposed to use the "Raw Device Mapping” so I was confused for a bit.

- Once I booted up the server, Windows 2008 R2 noticed the RDX as a removable device and I was able to swap HDDs without any issues.

- In my case this was a P2V conversion and the RDX drivers were already loaded but you’d may need to load them for your VM.

I still need to test our backup software to the RDX and make sure there isn't some issues with compability or performace.

Maybe once I get the funds to setup a portable NFS store (thinnking this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196) I’ll move the device into that per DSTAVERT’s above suggestion. Worst case, we can revert the server with the RDX as a physical server for backups only once we get the new ESX server setup.

I'm still cutting my teeth on VMWare but I'm learning something new every day with only minor bruising. Smiley Wink

Thanks for the help everyone

0 Kudos
ReedMikel2
Contributor
Contributor

I can’t wait to see if I can somehow do the same. Thanks for sharing!!

0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

The only thing I'm not sure on right now if it it'll work with different sized RDX drives, we currently have a few 360s, 500s, and soon probably some 1TBs for backups. We may need to standardize on a size if so.

Edit: Found this document too on createing RDMs: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102625...

0 Kudos
ReedMikel2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kunari,

How did you make out with this?  Can you now swap the SATA disk cartridge while the guest OS is running?

Thanks,

-Mike

0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

It's working fine, with a RDM drive you can not vMotion, Clone, Migrate, etc the VM.   None of that is a huge deal for this VM so we're good.   Our drives are the exact same model/size so I'm not sure if the RDM would work with different sized RDX drives or not at this time.

0 Kudos
JesseWulf
Contributor
Contributor

I have also gotten this to work, but the transfer rate is incredibly slow.  Are you experiencing this as well?  A backup that should only take about 3.5 hours is now taking between 11 and 12 hours.

0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

We get about 300-350 rate of transfer which is where it should be for a single SATA drive.   Are you using a USB External unit?  If so then yes, USB would really kill the transfer rate.

0 Kudos
JesseWulf
Contributor
Contributor

Windows server 2008 used to run on this box.  It was pulled off and ESXi was then put on and the 2008 Server is back as a guest.  I setup the RD1000 Internal Sata Device as described in these posts and everything went fine.  We can swap out the drives with no problems and since the RD1000 utilities were already loaded on the server everything seems happy. The backup speeds suffered terribly.  Before converting to ESXi the backup would run average of 1,700 MB/min for a 200GB backup.  Now its running about about 500 MB/min.  The backups are working and they are successful but with the amount of time to backup this one guest there is no way I could have it backup all the guests, there just wouldn't be enough time in a day.

0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

We did the same with the server as you did, turned it from a physical Server 2008 box into a ESX box with the old OS as a GuestVM.   We store the RDM mapping files on the local ESX box not across to a SAN but seems you're getting the same speeds (or better) than us as well.

0 Kudos
JesseWulf
Contributor
Contributor

Our mapping files are local as well... I wonder if I could move it to the system datastore that has less activity if that would make a difference with speed.  I was just hoping there was some tweak to get the speeds somewhat closer to the original. I am testing this now... So far it seems promising. With the mapping on the same drive as the guest it seems really slow but moving to a different drive I am running a test backup and its currently running at 1,200 MB/min.  I will let you know after the backup finishes.

0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

We've also found out you must use the same size RDX drives, if you put in other sizes you'll get HDD errors. 

I'm not sure on thrughput if you find a way to boost it let us know.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Unless you have a caching disk controller with battery and write caching enabled and or a separate controller dedicated to tthe removable disk performance will suffer.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ElGarufo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi people,

Reading all the post (so interesting), I´ve got aome dubts. I want to attach a Hp USB RDX to a Virtual Machine (Windows or Linux?), but we are going to change cartdriges every night. We want to know if finally its so automated the insert of the new cartdrige, so It takes the same Windows letter always (or mount it in Linux...)...or its necesary every time you change it, to configure it so Veeam backup can find the unit where to place the backups...

Any suggest will be appreciate...

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Via USB disk performance will be bad.

For the other comments above, the throughput of SATA disks is highly dependent on the drive type, I've not looked at it in detail but I suspect it is due to the state of the device write cache by default (in my testing of direct attached drives generally, I found that WD's REx disks performance badly, whilst mechanically identical Caviar drives performed well).

0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

USB will be slow but should be easy enough to hook up, just make sure you VM has the USB Controller.    You'll be able to load the RDX drivers in Windows so should be able to hot-swap with no problems.

Drive letter stays the same as far as I've seen, it's never changed it on us yet.

0 Kudos
DoDo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Install Ubuntu on the physical machine, and run Virtual Box or VMWare server.

A simple script and you can snapshot all your machines, copy them to the Tandberg (at native speed!), and delete the snapshots.

Why would you want the tandberg availabe to backup only one of the virtual machines anyway?

Edit: Also, Ubuntu will support the entry level SATA raid, such as the HP b110i

0 Kudos