VMware Cloud Community
malte3001
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1.0 (433742) & DELL GX620 - Memory problem

Hello!

I have a problem with my DELL GX620 Desktop (BIOS:A11) and ESXi.

This Dell is not supported by VMware, I know. But I will ask anyway.

When I start the GX with just 4 GB RAM (2 modules), everything is fine.

When I start the GX with 6 GB RAM (4 modules) the ESXi boot process hangs at the "black-white" boot screen, the one with the whilte process bar. It looks like the process bar is getting fuller, but at the end it hangs and does not boot further.

Is there a way I can check what is causing this like looking at some boot logs or any other way?

Or maybe one of you had have the same problem and knows a solution?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Malte

PS: I am not a native English speaker, so I am sorry for my mistakes.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the specs at http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/spec_optix_gx520-gx620_en.pdf this model only supports up to 4 GB!?

4 DIMM slots (2 DIMM slots on USFF chassis); Non-ECC dual channel shared2 DDR2 SDRAM system memory (533Mhz) up to 4GB

André

0 Kudos
malte3001
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that is right. But the DEL BIOS is detecting and recognizing the modules and the right size. And the BIOS is also booting without any problems.

But this might be some thing with the ESXI and the hardware (detection of ESXi).

Thank you very much for your help and answer.

Best regards,

malte

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have another OS (e.g. live CD/DVD) that you can boot from to verify the memory is properly presented to the operating system? Even though the memory shows up in the BIOS does not mean it can be accessed by an OS without issues.

André

malte3001
Contributor
Contributor

That ia a good idea. I will just try this right now and then tell.

Thanks,

malte

PS: The best ideas always have other people 🙂

0 Kudos
malte3001
Contributor
Contributor

I booted with Ubuntu 64-bit and it just showed me around 4 GB. So it looks like the BIOS cannot translated or hand over the memory size.

But 4 GB should be enough, too.

Thanks a lot to you André.

Best regards,

Malte

0 Kudos