VMware Cloud Community
BigSuma
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0: Raid Array not detected only individual disks

Ive got an Adaptec 2410SA obviously compatible on the VMHELP site..

ive created my array of 4 x 1.5TB drives .. but when i get in to the ESXi datastore. it doesnt see the array.. only 4 individual disks.

Is there something im missing for this array to be seen

I was able to create a single datastore with the 4 disks in it.. bu tim thinking its not redundant.. more like a spanned disk in ESXi

any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The vm-help hardware list indicates that someone has been able to install a VMware product on that hardware. It isn't an official tested and supported piece of hardware. You should follow the links to the forum posts for any special installation instructions.

ESXi does not support single arrays greater than 2TB - 512B so you would need to be able to create arrays slightly less than 2TB. I don't know whether the Adaptec controller supports creating virtual disk on top of arrays but if that is an option you could create the array and break it up into 2TB virtual disks.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

The 2410SA adapter is not showing up in the official VMware HCL, which tells me that it's a software RAID controller, NOT a hardware card, which means you won't be able to build an array for use with ESX/ESXi. You need to have an SAS/SATA hardware RAID controller card (typically the more expensive cards). That level of card (the 2410SA) doesn't even list any ESX compatibility on it's support page. Again, telling me that it's really a software RAID card, not a hardware RAID card, which means you won't be able to use the RAID functionality under ESX/ESXi. Obviously you can still use it to address individual drives within ESX/ESXi, but that's about it.

IF the card was listed in the HCL, even if the manufacturer page didn't list VMware ESX for compatibility, I'd be comfortable using it. You had strikes on both counts...

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos