VMware Cloud Community
adza77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.0 Problem.

Sorry. I know this is for 3.5, but I couldn't find the 4.0 thread.

We have recently installed ESXi 4.0 onto a system on Wednesday and today we had our first major problem. Users experienced problems connecting to the Win2003 server that was hosted on the ESXi machine.

We are running only one ESXi machine, and only one Guest O/S at this point in time.

When we went to connect to the ESXi machine using VMWare vSphere client we couldn't. It looked as though it was going to connect (message about invalid certificate showed), but then would go no further.

We also couldn't hit the ESXi machine using a web browser, nor could we get the machine to reboot pressing F12. (However the machine did respond and allow us to 'log in' and initiate the reboot - but it didn't reboot.

We could ping both the ESXi host, as well as the guest O/S - but that's as far as we could get. Apart from the Ping, it appeared as thoug the guest OS (Win 2003 Server) wasn't there, and the host (ESXi) was not responding either remotely.

Does anyone know what may cause such a problem, or what we should do about this?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Did you try to restart management agent? Log into console as root and navigate to restart management agent

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
adza77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good Morning Allblack,

Thank you for your reply... No - I admit I didn't try that. If it happens again i shall give it a go.

It was suggested to me by a friend that it may be possible that if the guest O/S has gone to 100% CPU and heavy disk usage that maybe the Host also has grinded to a halt. He's not familiar with ESXi, but thought it could be a possibility.

At present I have allocated unlimited resources to the guest O/S. Should I be looking at reducing the resources, or should that not make a difference?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to vSphere:ESXi 4 forum.

0 Kudos