VMware Cloud Community
ndallas
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0 Patch Failed with Not enough Disk Space

I have tried to upgrade my ESXi 4.0 host using the vsphere 4.0 upgrade utility. This process worked on my test box but on the production server I get insufficient disk space to perform the upgrade.

This is a standard ESXi install. From the output of the df -h command below I can see that there is only 34.7 MB free for the /tmp directory. I believe that 50 MB is needed todo the upgrades. I have tried one upgrade at a time with the same results.

Does anyone have any idea why there would not be enough disk space and what needs to be done to fix it.

I am upgrading from build 164009 on one host and 171294. I m getting this error on both.

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

visorfs 215.9M 181.2M 34.7M 84% /

Thanks

ndallas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I got this error too when upgrading my ESXi server. All I did to resolve was to restart the host before starting the update. It seemed to clear some temporary file.

MCP, A, Network, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you're booting from USB then you might also want to check that you've defined a scratch location.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
ndallas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feed back. Unfortunately, I did reboot and try again and I got the same error. I am also running off the local disk.

Nick

0 Kudos