VMware Cloud Community
staverts
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0 - No boot config found

I have an ESXi 4.0 server, and all virtual machines were working yesturday, yesturday during the night, the server went offline.  I looked at the hypervisor this morning, and it was up...but the virtual machines would not start.  I restarted the hypervisor, only to find on during the load of the hypervisor, I get the message:  "No boot config found"  and then the hypervisor stops loading.

Okay, I have some emergency questions:

1. Is there an emergency rescue disk, so that I can get my VM's off the hypervisor if needed

2.  Can I do an upgrade of some kind, or repair of somekind with the hypervisor disk,  that would fix the missing hypervisor files, but leave the hypervisor vm's and other data alone

3.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
V12NPro
Contributor
Contributor

When you logon using vsphere client, can you browse datastores?

Hook up the console and see if the server boots up completely, does it?

0 Kudos
staverts
Contributor
Contributor

I of course was at the console already...as it would be insane not to check the console..I also stated ther hypervosor was not booting..anyways, I fixed it.  I put in the hypervsor install disk, and did a REPAIR, which search the vmfs container, mounted it, made sure it was healthy, and then replaced the actual hypervisor files.  Once it was up, I went to the datastore, looked at my VMs which lookws fine, and then RIGHT CLICKED  on the vmx file, and imported the VM into inventory.  After that the VM booted perfectly and all was well.

Other posts on this board were very helpful for this.

0 Kudos