VMware Cloud Community
decker12
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0: Newbie with Questions

Hello everyone. Hopefully this is the right forum for this discussion. I can't find a ESXi 4.0 forum.

I am taking my first baby steps and fiddling around with virtualization after spending some time with VMWare Fusion. I have installed ESXi 4.0 on a capable lab computer (Precision T7400 w/dual 2.5ghz Xeons and 16gb). Installation went smoothly, and I have installed the vSphere client to administer ESXi 4.0.

My first VM Appliance installed fine - I tried out Zimbra, but apparently there's some bug in the configuration script throws up an error, so I couldn't actually get the MTA and Zimbra web admin console running. I did however get the running "enough" to give me confidence that yes indeed, my ESXi server is running fine, vSphere can talk to it, etc.

Next up was trying a hot convert of an existing server using the latest VMWare Converter on a development Windows 2003 Server that's running on a older Dell Pentium 4. It took about 20 minutes and I was thrilled that it just seemed to work. Before converting, I chose the existing ESXi server and after 20 minutes, it showed up in vSphere. No errors reported during the conversion.

Problem is, I can't get that VM to boot. Console just shows me a blank screen with a single non-blinking underline cursor, and no activity is reported on any of the graphs. If I select the option to Force BIOS, Console will boot into BIOS and allow me to change drive order, system clock, etc, but when I change and save settings in BIOS, it just reboots back to a blank screen (after showing me the VMware splash screen for a split second).

Any thoughts on what it could be? I have fiddled with the various settings for the VM, changing video card memory, allocating more and less memory to it, etc. I've changed the boot order in BIOS to always boot the HD first. I have enabled Debugging logs in the VM settings, but I also can't find where these logs are located for futher examination.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

the dedicated vSphere ESXi forum is under the vSphere forum - I have moved your post to there.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

In your conversion did you choose to install the VMware tools as part of the conversion. If not it is possible that some hardware / driver /?? is preventing startup. Did you make any changes to the conversion or just accept the defaults. Since it is a short process I would try it again and have it install tools.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos