VMware Cloud Community
N1gh7
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0.0 and NPIV

Hello Community,

first, a short description of the environment:

Hardware: HP Proliant 460c-Blade, FC-HBA: HP Qlogic gmh2462, HP Brocade SAN-Switches

Host-OS: VMWare ESXi 4.0.0

Guest-OS: Server 2008

The ports on the SAN-switches support NPIV and it's enabled

The port on the HBA supports NPIV and it's enabled

Now the issue:

I'm trying, like described in some documentations, to present a SAN-volume to the guest.

I successfully configured the knot-WWN and the port-WWN on the host already.

Now I tried to add a new RAW-Harddisk to the guest-machine. But that's not possible because that option is greyed out. No matter, if the VM is turned on or off.

When I start the VM, no new adapter or something else is showing up.

Because, now I'm not sure anymore, I first wanted to ask, if the NPIV-functionality is available in the free ESXi-Version?

If it is, I would be very thankfull if someone could give me a hint or suggestion! Smiley Happy

Best,

N1gh7

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Because, now I'm not sure anymore, I first wanted to ask, if the NPIV-functionality is available in the free ESXi-Version?

NPIV is a Fiber Switch function, so are you saying the option to change the Fiber NPIV for the VM is missing? And is your VM hardware version 7?

0 Kudos
N1gh7
Contributor
Contributor

The version of the VM is: 7

In the configuration for the virtual machine --> options --> Fibre-Channel-NPIV --> (translated from german) here, I activated the NPIV-function an created a WWNN und WWPN. I definately can see the addresses in the config. But on the SAN-switches that addresses are not appearing.

Do I have to do first the config on the SAN switches manual with those addresses? Zoning, etc? And then present a vdisk to that device? And then I'm able to add that vdisk to the VM?

Sry 4 that stupid questions, my knowledge about SAN is still in the beginnin Smiley Happy

Thanks for helping me,

N1gh7

0 Kudos
N1gh7
Contributor
Contributor

"Problem" solved:

After a while the SAN-Volumes appeart in the VMWare storage administration.

Since then new volumes appearet instantly.

I don't know what the delay in the beginning was...

Best,

N1gh7

0 Kudos
N1gh7
Contributor
Contributor

see my last posting Smiley Happy

0 Kudos