VMware Cloud Community
Mackman
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI4.1 - Win 2003 and Linux host - Ping to linux OK, to 2003 NOT!

I have come across something odd. I have an ESXI4.1 machine, running several guests, all Redhat Linux 5.1. I can ping them, see them, operate them, no problem.

On this same box I have installed Server 2003. The IP address is manually configured and is basically identical to all other boxes as relates to subnet, gateway, etc. IP is 192.168.1.58 the next in line after 192.168.1.51 -.57.

I can connect to the server 2003 box through VSphere client console, I can ping out, get to the internet, etc. no problem.

From my PC if I ping this server 2003 box, try to RDP to it, etc. I get nothing. Ping shows like this:

C:\>ping 192.168.1.58

Pinging 192.168.1.58 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.58: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=128

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.58:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 35ms

It pings 1 time, then times out.

Where / what could be the issue here?

Anyone?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am assuming you have VMware Tools installed on these guests?

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Mackman
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, VMWare Tools installed on all Linux guests and Windows guest.

I have also noticed that the Linux boxes that are on the ESXI server CAN ping the Windows Server, no problem. Anything outside of the ESXI can not ping the Windows Server but they can ping the Linux boxes.

So strange.

0 Kudos
karo2k4
Contributor
Contributor

We have had similar strange problems with one of our ESX Servers. It turned out, that our network switches (cisco) has port security enabled. We have just turned it of.

Maybe this could cause the problem

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

I would first check if the correct port group is selected for the VMnics.

In edit settings if Connected and Connected at Poweron is selected for the network card

What about the TCP/iP settings do we have the correct IP,Gateway and DNS configured ?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f-10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Mackman
Contributor
Contributor

We just installed a Cisco 1811W, let me check that out! Wow, odd. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Mackman
Contributor
Contributor

Triple checked everything, made changes on Cisco, same results.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
karo2k4
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe you can try to enable promicious mode on the network interface and sniff if there are packets comming thru from your external ip.

I think you can use tcpdump ... ohhh i see you use ESXi. No idea how to do that with ESXi Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hm.. so it reply only the first packet then no more ?

Sounds like the packet gets dropped somewhere in the middle of the network connection (check the device man), it can't be the Windows firewall.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
karo2k4
Contributor
Contributor

Any news regarding this problem ?

0 Kudos