VMware Cloud Community
rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI4.1 USB paththrough no USB devices detected

I am running on a Rackable Systems C2004(i think).

Motherboard: ASUS KFSN4-DRE/SAS, bios version 1012

CPU: 2 x AMD Dual core Opty 2214 HE

ESXI4.1 installed on internal raid array(LSI 1064E builtin)

I was able to add the USB controller to the VM(server 2008 R2), however whenever I try to add a USB device, it is grayed out, says no usb devices available on host.  I have tried a USB flash drive, a WD external hard drive, and an APC UPS.  I do not think it is the devices themselves.  I have even tried powering down the host, adding the device, and rebooting.  Any troubleshooting I can do on this one?  I cannot see anything in the VI client that indicates any error.  The VM is hardware version 7.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I for one would be interested to know if you can get the APC UPS working.

But that aside, I've put a walk-through of the process together here, although it sounds like you're on the right tracks anyway.  Check USB 2 is enabled in the BIOS perhaps.

HTH

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

looks like the devices is not detected from the host level. i would see if you could do something on the BIOS particular on USB (just like how you troubleshoot normal physical server issue).

0 Kudos
rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

I know that USB does work in the server itself.  I also disabled legacy support in the bios,  No change.  Is it possible that the south bridge, or at least the host USB controller, is just not compatable with vmware, and is there a way via the logs I could verify this?

0 Kudos