rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI uploading VMs very slow

I just finished building a new ESXI server(will be using virtual center once I get it all working). This is a replacement for an old ESXI3.5 box, which will nto be used as an iscsi target(openfiler). I backed up all the VMs to a USB drive, and am using VMware converter to upload them. However, it is taking FOREVER. I am only getting roughly 1.5MB(not Mb)/s, over a gig link. I was able to back these up almost 10x as fast, and that was on 3.5 with a degraded Raid5 array. I have tried direct upload via the VI client, and briefly tried using NFS, and nothing worked much faster. am I doing something wrong? I cannot believe that this will take 20 hours just to upload roughly 100g of data, when I was able to download over a tb from 3.5 in about half that time.

Would going ahead and setting up VC now make it faster?(VC will only be able to work at 100m, but the system im using now to upload is using gig, directly connected). Any help would be appreciated

I am pretty sure it is not the array, as I attempted to upload tothe local drive, a 150g 10k SATA drive, and the same result.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Try this software:

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html

It's free.

rgds

0 Kudos