VMware Cloud Community
LonLim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI sync with NTP

I would like to know how does the ESXI sync with the NTP server.

1) Does it step/slew if host time is faster than NTP

2) Does it step/slew if host time is slower than NTP

3) Interval between checking time with the NTP server

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jlanders
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Generally, the clock will get stepped forward or back when the time offset is greater than the "step threshold" which by default is 128 milliseconds. But NTP also has spike filter, so the "step threshold" must be exceeded for more than the "stepout threshold" which by default is 300 seconds. In other words, even when there a few spikes within the "stepout threshold", those updates can be ignored and the clock will continue to run slewed.

The interval for queries to NTP time sources is the "poll interval". The default is 64 seconds, but NTP will automatically increase this up to 1024 seconds if computed time errors from the upstream NTP sources do not increase.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
muakhtar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please find the below link for the NTP Configuration.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57147

Regards,

Munib Akhtar
VCP-DCV/VCP-DTM/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you

Munib Akhtar
VCP-DCV/VCP-DTM/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
LonLim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to know how it works not how to configure

0 Kudos
jlanders
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Generally, the clock will get stepped forward or back when the time offset is greater than the "step threshold" which by default is 128 milliseconds. But NTP also has spike filter, so the "step threshold" must be exceeded for more than the "stepout threshold" which by default is 300 seconds. In other words, even when there a few spikes within the "stepout threshold", those updates can be ignored and the clock will continue to run slewed.

The interval for queries to NTP time sources is the "poll interval". The default is 64 seconds, but NTP will automatically increase this up to 1024 seconds if computed time errors from the upstream NTP sources do not increase.

0 Kudos