VMware Cloud Community
mmujtba
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI storage space

ESXI VFMSL Space

Hi,

I am complete newbie to VmWare, so appologies if this is something really basic.

I have installed VMware workstation 16 player on my laptop and then loaded Vmware ESXi 7.1 on top of it.

My question is that datastore is only showing available space as 14GB even though my hardware is 100+ GB.

Here is what i see; and i am unable to add more space from VMFSL to VMFS.

Local VMware, Disk (mpx.vmhba0:C0:T0:L0)
Type: Disk
Model: VMware Virtual S
Path: /vmfs/devices/disks/mpx.vmhba0:C0:T0:L0
Capacity: 142 GB
Partition Format: gpt
UUID: 0000000000766d686261303a303a30

Partitions
1: EFI System 100 MB (100 blocks)

5: Basic Data 4 GB (4094 blocks)

6: Basic Data 4 GB (4094 blocks)

7: VMFSL 119.9 GB (122777 blocks)

8: VMFS 14 GB (14334 blocks)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

And now I see you created a duplicate thread anyway.

I'll now report your first one so that moderators can remove it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's the expected behavior. ESXi 7.0 has a larger footprint than previous versions.

Anyway, since you are setting up the host as a VM on VMware Workstation, you may simply create a larger virtual disk, or create two virtual disks (one for ESXi, and one for the datastore).
With the default settings in VMware Workstation, the VM will only consume the required disk space.

André

0 Kudos
mmujtba
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Any instruction available on how to do that?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What I said in my previous post, create a larger virtual disk for the ESXi VM , or create two virtual disks in the ESXi VM's settings.

Andé

0 Kudos