VMware Cloud Community
loufeliz
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI reinstall to reset root password

Hello,

I have a Dell R730with VMWare esxi 7.01 (Dell build) installed to mirror/raid SD Cards,  Using the Perc Raid for VM Storage.  have been using this setup for quite  a few years with good luck.   Can I reinstall t ESXI onto the mirror/raid sd cards to regain control of the server.  VMWare console is up and looks fine, but the root password is not available.  Making matters worse,  the VCenter appliance that normally runs on it did not auto start and it may not have been flagged to after recently being moved there.

I don't have a spare machine to try this on , but my gut tells me just re-install it and I should be fine.  Any reason I should worry before I try this?  I have some archived VM's on host I need to access and it may be faster then getting them off of old tapes.

Thanks for reading this.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Quickdraw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
loufeliz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I will try that as I can get in to my other ESXI host.  I may just be able to copy the file or atleast swap in the known encrypted root password in and see what happens.  Now I just need to get back to my office later this week to try this out.

0 Kudos