VMware Cloud Community
finsfree
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXI not able to update to 7.0.3.00100

I was successful in updating the vCenter Appliance from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3.00100, however I'm running into an issue updating the hosts. I have three ESXI hosts running version 7.0.2 on Dell PowerEdge R740.

When I start the "Remediation" process to have each host get updated automatically one at a time, the first host it tries to update goes through the process of migrating all of it's VM's off and then nothing happens and eventually gets all the VM's migrated back and that's it. That's all that happens and nothing gets updated. There are NO error messages I just get a yellow triangle mark next to the host.

Is there a "bug" in updating hosts to 7.0.3.00100? I can't be the only one having this issue...

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
usmabison
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Greetings @finsfree ...

My use case ...

There was an issue with upgrading hosts to 7.0.3 (there is no  7.0.3.00100 for ESXI that I am aware of). Build Number: 18644231 is from 10/5/2021. There was an offending vib -  Intel NIC driver was renamed to i40enu, and then back to i40en, which is causing the conflict.
    https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85982

I removed the offending vib using the command: esxcli software vib remove -n i40enu for each host (I'm sure there may be more scalable methods - I only had a 4-node cluster to deal with)
Once resolved (remove i40enu vib) then the host can be upgraded to 7.0.3 ...

this resolved the issue for me, anyway ...

0 Kudos
finsfree
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After using the command to list all vib's (esxcli software vib list), I only found these that started with "i40en" (see image). 

0 Kudos
finsfree
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Never mind I did find the i40enu vib file. I went ahead and removed it and rebooted. 

Next, I tried updating to 7.0.3 with the zip file via SSH command line and I received an error message (see image).

What is going on here? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
mbartle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to specify the full path when using -d switch

-d /full/path/to/package.vib

0 Kudos