VMware Cloud Community
PeterPanda
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI hosts with different hardware (high-/low-end) in a cluster

Hi,

I'm new to the server area and I want to setup a server running a virtualization platform like ESXI. While the server I have in mind is a Intel Xeon Gold 6333Y with 24 cores and 48 threads I also have some less powerful hardware. I did some research and know it isn't that rare that people run older hardware and use them together with newer hardware in a cluster. So I'm wondering how this performs. I know there is a prcessor compatibility list for ESXI but I'm wondering why there are only CPU series like i5 4500-TE or i7-3600-QE  listed beside XEON CPUs. I have a i5 4440 with 4 cores and 4 threads and VT-x is supported or a i7 4790K with 4 cores and 8 threads. Why aren't there other CPU series of i5 or i7 listed? Does it mean when a CPU is not listed it is not possible to use it as an ESXI host?

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

So would it be possible to use one of my i5/i7 processor as an ESXI host? And can someone share his experience with mixing hardware. I can't imagine how this performs. How does ESXI consolidate the Ressources? Would the older hardware slow down the rest? I can't imagine how a 24 core CPU works together with a 4 core CPU in a cluster.

Please give me some insights.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

1. If it does not appear in the compatibility matrix, it means that it is not compatible.
  2. A cluster with an Esxi on less performing hardware, reduces the performance of the entire cluster.
  3. Only processors that are in the "compatibility matrix" can be used.

regards,

Alex_Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your duplicate post has been reported to the moderators for removal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
PeterPanda
Contributor
Contributor

What does compatible exactly mean? Does it mean it is not possible to install ESXI on this host or is it just not tested by vmware with this hardware?

0 Kudos