VMware Cloud Community
ZawMyint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXI automatically rollback to original version issue after rebooting the Server

Hi All

I am doing vCenter and ESXI version upgrading from 6.0 to 7.0. I upgraded vcsa to v6.7 first and then upgraded to v7. It works properly and other Servers also work too. One Server (Dell R730) server has an issue that after the first step of upgrading to 6.7 and when rebooting the Server, it rolls back to the original version (6.0) automatically. What should I do? Please share your idea if you also have such an experience.

Thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ZawMyint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great news! I figured out what was causing the problem, and I've fixed it.

Let me share my experience with the same case in the future.

I initially tried reinstalling ESXi 6.0 and restoring the configuration from a backup, but that didn't work, and the rollback issue occurred again. So, I decided to go for a fresh installation of ESXi 7.0 and set it up configuration manually, and it properly works now.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
soehein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is useful link for VMware customize OS for Dell

useful link 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Octopus_L4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

What's your boot/install device, Dell IDSDM sd card module? and what exact build number of ESXi are you going to upgrade to? vSphere 7.0 U1c iso fixes issues with slow speed boot devices.

ZawMyint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Lubomir,

Thanks for your reply.

Boot Demice: SD Card

First step upgrade: 6.7 u2 (can't upgrade yet to targeted version 7.0)

0 Kudos
Octopus_L4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please try again to check the compatibility of your DellR730 and its components according to the VMware HCL. Maybe it has some problem with /bootbank. Can you look at "df -h" on the given hypervisor? Are your drivers and firmware up to date?

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How are you trying the upgrade? Boot from ISO, esxcli from the command line, ...?
Can you confirm that you are using the Dell customized ESXi image?

What should work fine - unless it's an SD card issue - is to upgrade the host from the command line:

1. upload the vendor customized ESXi offline bundle (.zip file) to a folder on a datastore (e.g. "Patches")
  2. shut down all VMs, and place the ESXi host into Maintenance Mode
  3. get the profile name
    esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/Patches/<name-of-zip-file>
  4. run the upgrade
    esxcli software profile install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/Patches/<name-of-zip-file> -p <profile-name> --dry-run
  5. if the command returns a "successful" installation, reboot the host
    reboot

Please note that the "profile install" command will replace all binaries (i.e. do an installation, and cleanup). If you've installed additional drivers, which are not included in Dell's offline bundle, you may try "profile update" instead.

With the --dry-run option in step 4, the command will not change anything, but only show what it will do. To run the upgrade, omit --dry-run from the command line.

André

ZawMyint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello a_p_
Thanks for your suggestion. I will try as per your suggestion tomorrow.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ZawMyint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great news! I figured out what was causing the problem, and I've fixed it.

Let me share my experience with the same case in the future.

I initially tried reinstalling ESXi 6.0 and restoring the configuration from a backup, but that didn't work, and the rollback issue occurred again. So, I decided to go for a fresh installation of ESXi 7.0 and set it up configuration manually, and it properly works now.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
soehein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is useful link for VMware customize OS for Dell

useful link 

ZawMyint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution