VMware Cloud Community
tmcelroy93
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI OVA/OVF import from other hypervisors

Hey everyone. I'm currently trying to import an OVA file into a 6.7 ESXi host, however I'm getting the following error message. Unsupported element 'StorageItem'.

esxi.png

The OVA file in question was created using Virtualbox. I'm currently trying to migrate some of our VMs onto this ESXi host and were wondering it is possible to import and export OVA/OVF files when they are created using separate virtualisation platforms. Is there a specific process to follow to achieve this? Any information in regards to this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I think you should convert your created VM (by Virtualbox) to VMware ESXi compatible VM by executing with VMware Converter or other 3rd-party tools like that. Then try to generate your OVA/OVF or deploy it to ESXi directly as you need to do.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You could use "OVF Tools" to convert the .OVA file to .VMX and create a Virtual Machine with the "VCenter Converter" directly on your Esxi Host.

Download VMware vSphere

Alessandro R

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/