VMware Cloud Community
Cyber-Code-Tech
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI Networking

Hello every one...

My question is: I had installed esxi and vsphere on hpe server with 4 physical ports, I need to make 4 vms, each vm must be assigned to two physical ports, the first port is for data, the other port (which will be assisgned to each vm) is for management, is this applicable or if not how it could be done?

Appreciate any help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've reported your thread so that moderators are notified it's in the wrong place - the Desktop Hypervisor area is for products like Workstation and Fusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Moderator note: Moved thread to ESXi Discussions

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It doesn't look like a common configuration to me, but I don't know the use case.
Anyway, what you may do to achieve your goal is to configure multiple VM Port Groups, on which you can then setup Failover&Teaming as required.

André

0 Kudos
Cyber-Code-Tech
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you 

But configuring port groups doesn`t suit the use case, I can create 4 vswitch and add uplink to each one, but I have only 4 physical ports , I need each vm is assigned to  physical ports,

To reshape the question: if I create 4 port groups on a single vswitch( in this case all the 4 uplinks will be assigned to this vswich), can I control the traffic so I can make the port group1 is controlled by physical port 1 and so on.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

for this discussion perspective , you know the limitation. 4 uplinks and 1 mgmt +3 vSwitch with each uplink...so this is possible for 3 VMs need dedicated uplinks. you have to share the vSwitch/uplink with 4th VM.

for design perspective , you can use LACP to enhance bandwidth and maintain redundancy. this way you can accommodate all VMs in one portgroup.

regards

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> can I control the traffic so I can make the port group1 is controlled by physical port 1 and so on.

Yes, that's why I mentioned "Failover&Teaming" in the port groups' settings. You can configure individual vmnics as Active, Standby, or Unused.

André