VMware Cloud Community
leumasstudios
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI IP Errors and Unrecognized NIC

Good afternoon,

I am trying to install ESXi 7.0.2 onto a HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 Server with built-in SFP+ ports and a 1 gig nic. 

It installs fine and boots up to the landing screen where it shows a DHCP error and gives me a really weird 169.254.146.xx IP (Not in my LAN) 

Going into the settings on the machine shows both of my SFP+ ports as disconnected, even though both are conected, and does not recognize my ethernet nic. 

I'm trying to get this up and running so that I can run PfSense and a couple of other VMs on this machine. 

If anyone has any guidance or suggestions, it would be well appreciated!

Thanks, 

Sam

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I guess that you know the your hardware is not supported for ESXi 6.7, and later!?

That said, I'm actually not really sure why the adapters show up as disconnected, although you say they are physically connected (I assume that you are using supported SFPs, and fiber cables are properly plugged in correctly). The IP address that you see is a so called APIPA address, which is a self generated address in a 169.254.0.0/16 subnet, that's used if no DHCP could be reached.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... just one Question?

Which ESXi installation image (VMware/HPE) did you use to setup the ESXi host? Maybe the image that you've used does not contain the required drivers!?

André

0 Kudos