VMware Cloud Community
thomasbj28
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI Host ISCSI Connected to Synology NAS without Switch.

We are looking to implement a new Synology NAS on a single ESXI host.  The ESXI host would be connected directly to the NAS over 10GB Ethernet, without a physical switch in the middle.  I cannot get the storage to show up unless I use the same subnet and default gateway has the Management Port. If I try to separate the ESXI ISCSI ports from the Management host by using a different default gateway, it also changes the default gateway of my managment nic.  The two ISCSI ports are setup on their own Switch with separate VMKNICs.  I am able to easily set the default gateway on each ISCSI NIC on the Synology unit.  Why is this such a problem in ESXI?  How do I fix this?

ESXI Config

VMK0 - Management Port 192.168.5.1    GW 192.168.5.254

VMK1 - ISCSI 192.168.10.1

VMK2 - ISCSI 192.168.11.1

Synology Config

ISCSI 1 192.168.10.2   GW 192.168.10.254

ISCSI 2 192.168.11.2    GW 192.168.11.254

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@thomasbj28 

You don’t show the relationship between your vmk ports, your vSwitch(es), and your vmnic uplink ports - a screenshot of that from the vSphere web client will help.

The configuration of your software iSCSI adapter is also not here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos