VMware Cloud Community
DavidYoung123
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 7 network serial port licence level

What level licence do I need to be able to add a network serial port to a VM, "telnet://192.168.1.1:4001" for example. It seemed to work in the evaluation but since I have applied my Essentials licence it does not work. Can't find documentation anywhere that clearly describes what features are included in each level of licencing.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is the paper I would normally refer to: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

But there is no mention of licensing in the prerequisites here: Add a Serial Port to a Virtual Machine

Your question has appeared here before, but was unanswered: Minimum License for Network Serial Ports in vSphere 4.1?

I found this Cisco article which mentions Enterprise (no longer available) or Enterprise Plus licensing is required: Configure Serial Port Access to NX-OSv 9000 on VMware ESXi - Cisco

If that Cisco document is correct, that would be the “best” answer, and would explain why you had it working during your evaluation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog