VMware Cloud Community
mcisar
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 7.0b with LSI Controller... managing RAID with LSA help

I've been trying to install an ESXI 7.0b with an LSI 9361-8i controller.  Installed storcli and lsiprovider on the ESXI box, and installed LSI Storage Authority on my Win10 workstation to manage the RAID with.  All of the firmware and software versions are latest versions freshly downloaded. 

Everything seemed like it was fine, could see the controller and connected drives in LSA so I proceeded to create a drive group and virtual drive. LSA still showed 2 unconfigured drives, 0 drive groups and 0 virtual drives so I figured something went wrong and so I tried again... the second time it gave me an error when it tried to create.  

Went in and looked at the logs and in there I see...

Controller ID: 0 VD is available. VD: 0

Controller ID: 0 Created VD: 0

Controller ID: 0 VD is now OPTIMAL VD 0

Controller ID: 0 PD - Port 4 - 7 x1:1:5 (EnclosureId: 252; DeviceId: 12) : State change - Previous: UnConfigured Good; Current: Online

Controller ID: 0 PD - Port 4 - 7 x1:1:4 (EnclosureId: 252; DeviceId: 11) : State change - Previous: UnConfigured Good; Current: Online

Went back into ESXI and sure enough it sees a new drive and I was able to create a datastore.  Then I went in via ssh and checked with storcli, it also sees the drive group and virtual drive.  But back into LSA and it still shows 2 unconfigured, 0 drive groups and 0 virtual drives. 

So long story short it did create the drive group and virtual drive as it should have... but somehow it doesn't seem to be updating itself to reflect that fact.  Even logging out of LSA, closing the browser and reopening LSA again still doesn't show the current configuration.

Is there something I've missed in the configuration... a refresh button someplace I should be clicking?

Any input appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Reply
khiregange
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From vmware point of view I dont see any issues as long we see the device and adapter we are good however validate the below - >

for esxi 7 with MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i

ESXi 7.0lsi_mr3 version 7.713.08.00-1OEM4.680.00-8442

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

Check with server vendor if there is any problem with LSA not reflecting the current configuration.