VMware Cloud Community
Tom-Li
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 7.0 VMs network can not work

Hi,

I rented a physical server of ESXI system from a third party platform. After I created the virtual machine on ESXI, I found that the virtual machine could not surf the Internet.My ESXI is configured as:

(1) Own a public IP address

(2) Two network cards, one for the corresponding public IP network card, the other for private IP network card

(3) The default configuration of ESXI, such as port group (VMNetwork), virtual switch (VSwitch0), and VMkernal

Has anyone encountered this architecture before? Is there something wrong with my configuration or do I need to configure a router for forwarding?Because it is a third-party server, it has only one public IP address.

Regards,
Tom

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since the ESXi host (Management) already uses the IP address, you cannot use it for VMs.
In order to run VMs with Internet access on the host you need at least one more IP address. With then could either assign this additional IP address to a single VM, or configure a NAT router, use the IP address for its public network interface, and connect the VMs to the router's private interface (using an additional host-only virtual switch)

André

0 Kudos
Tom-Li
Contributor
Contributor

I've already done this by giving a virtual machine a public IP and using the virtual machine as a router.
Above there is a problem, my esxi virtual machine cannot be automatically access to the LAN IP address, I set up the router, but to make the other virtual machines on the Internet, I still need to manually configure the virtual machine to the private IP router as the gateway IP, esxi on the workstation can be automatically assign IP to the virtual machine, why not installed to the physical machine above, is my configuration has a problem?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> esxi on the workstation can be automatically assign IP to the virtual machine
I assume that you are talking about a home/lab setup in this case, where you have some kind of router, which also serves as a DHCP-Server.

What's required in your setup is a DHCP-Server. You could - if possible - add the role of a DHCP-Server for the private network to the VM that you have configured as the router, or use another VM for it.

André

0 Kudos