VMware Cloud Community
pencilpusher897
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 7.0 Host Intel X540-AT2 10G NIC Goes down

Supermicro MBD-X11SCL-F-O Motherboard

Intel X540-T2 10Gig Network card.

XS512EM 12-Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch

The network is attached to a netgear 10gig switch with Cat 8 cables 5' long.

Whenever I start using the 10 Gig network such as for synology backups after a few minutes the 10Gig NIC's in the ESXI Host will go down.

Even when not using the network they will go down. 

Editing them and changing from auto negotiate to 10000 brings them back up. After a few minutes they will go down again and then Editing them and changing from 10000 to auto negotiate brings them back up.

Snag_4c2272b.png

 It only happens on host 2 with the supermicro MB. the other hosts have a Intel S1200BTS Motherboard.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

Have you checked if the hardware is compatible with ESXi 7.0? from a check on the supermicro website it seems to me not

https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C242.cfm

I suggest you to check with supermicro and possibly check if there are firmware for the update

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
pencilpusher897
Contributor
Contributor

Is there such a thing as the NIC getting to hot and they shutting down?

Or Is there such a thing as the Netgear Switch getting to hot and they shutting down the ports?

I added some more cooling to the cabinet and moved the switch and now it's somewhat working?

When I leave only 1 10Gig NIC port plugged in it stays up but just as soon as I plug in the second port for redundancy they both shut down.

Its weird but I'm going to try and add a fan to the NIC card for cooling and see what happens.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

From what you say with only one ESXi host's 10G network card connected to Netgear you don't experience port blocking.

Instead, they both crash when you connect two ESXi host network cards to the NetGear switch. At this point, it could also be protection linked to the switch (See spanning tree and BPDU filter)

Understanding the BPDU Filter feature in vSphere (2047822) (vmware.com)

What logs appear when you connect one of the two ports on the switch? Did you tell me that you have other ESXi hosts that have no problems, always have 10g network cards and are connected to the same NetGear?

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
pencilpusher897
Contributor
Contributor

All connected to the same Netgear and yes I do believe I probably have some network setup issues.

I need to make 1 port active and the second one as a standby. Duh.

And the other Hosts I have only 1 port in use. again Duh!

0 Kudos