VMware Cloud Community
kkduk118
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 6.7 install PSOD (AP8 is incompatible with BSP)

I am using intel CPU i9-12900F (24core).
PSOD screen while installing ESXI 6.7.
I searched the internet but couldn't find the same error as mine.
Is this a CPU compatibility issue?
Please help if you can.

Is it correct to post this issue here?
If not, please tell me the exact location.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've now had to report your initial thread to ask moderators to remove it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

@kkduk118 wrote:

I am using intel CPU i9-12900F (24core).
Is this a CPU compatibility issue?

Chances are it is a CPU compatibility issue. BSP means Bootstrap Processor. AP is Application Processor. During powerup, any of the cores (APs) will be used as the BSP. So basically the message is saying AP8 cannot be used as BSP; therefore it is failing to boot up with a PSOD.

Considering that it is a 12th gen Alder Lake (which has the p-cores and e-cores), you could try disabling the efficiency cores from the motherboard BIOS. Other than that, there isn't a lot you can do with a desktop CPU that is not in the ESXi HCL for CPUs.

0 Kudos
JuanD1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
have you found a solution to your problem?
i am trying to install esxi 6.7 on an i7 processor and got the same error
Thank

0 Kudos
shorawitz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious if this has been solved too.  I have disabled the efficiency cores and still the same message.  I have the i9-12900KS cpu.  I saw another thread about tweaking the L3 cache, but my MB BIOS doesn't expose that feature.

0 Kudos
Power_Shell666
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue

0 Kudos
INGRmontoya
Contributor
Contributor

someone managed to solve the problem? I have a 12 generation i9 processor

0 Kudos
mercyfan
Contributor
Contributor

It also cause problems in ESXi 7 and 8 using 12700/13700/12900/13900 but there is work around using boot option cpuUniformityHardCheckPanic=FALSE. But unfortunately the same option not working in 6.7

0 Kudos
Maverick1
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings from Israel everyone.

I just found that in a forum

An easy workaround is to temporarily disable E-cores, install ESXi, set the parameter, and re-enable E-cores.

After that, the installer passed through and I got to a point to get a supported network card, but that seems easier to solve, with a gugabyte motherboard.

https://www.virten.net/2022/12/esxi-on-12th-gen-intel-nuc-pro-wall-street-canyon/

0 Kudos