VMware Cloud Community
mgoodin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI 6.5 license

Hi All,

I have a server that is two years old and I licensed it two years ago when I installed 6.5, we purchased a Essentials kit license.

The license says it is for up to three physical servers. 

I just bought a new server, and I Have 7.0 installed.  Can I upgrade my license and use this on the new server or do I need to purchase a new license?

Thanks,

-Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... the easiest way to find out about that, is to login to the Customer Portal, and check whether it shows your licenses when you select Upgradable Licenses from the drop down menu.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on whether you have an active subscription, or the subscription was active at the time when vSphere 7.0 was released.
If none of the above is true, you may either reinstate SnS, or purchase a new license.

André 

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... the easiest way to find out about that, is to login to the Customer Portal, and check whether it shows your licenses when you select Upgradable Licenses from the drop down menu.

André

mgoodin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response.  Yes it does allow me to upgrade to the 7.0 license.

Next question, I can keep my existing 6.5 esxi install with the existing license? I dont need to upgrade it to 7.0 or anything right?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can split the 6 CPUs license key into e.g. a 4 CPU license, and a 2CPU license, and then upgrade the 2CPU license only.

Please remember that you need to upgrade your vCenter Server to v7.0 in order to add the v7.0 host to its inventory.

André

mgoodin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ahh okay, i see what you mean on the splitting.

Thank you so much André, you da man!

-Matt

Tags (1)
0 Kudos