VMware Cloud Community
Rickinf
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 6.0 Loses Port Groups and VM's after Reboot

Hi,

I'm having a problem and it's kicking my butt. I setup my Virtual Switches, Port Groups and VM's. After I reboot my server and it comes back up. My Virtual Switches, Port Groups and VM's are gone. I have to re-add the Switches and ports then re-add the VM's. The VM's are there in their folders.  Not sure what's going on or even where to start looking. Everything else is there after reboot so I don't lose all my settings just ports and vm's.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please take a look at Applying vSphere host configuration changes after an unclean shutdown (2001780) | VMware KB .

Does running "/sbin/auto-backup.sh" throw any errors?

André

0 Kudos
Rickinf
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the response from running that command.

Files /etc/vmware/dvsdata.db and /tmp/auto-backup.380023//etc/vmware/dvsdata.db differ
Saving current state in /bootbank
Clock updated.
Time: 00:37:34   Date: 08/04/2017   UTC

0 Kudos
Rickinf
Contributor
Contributor

I followed that link you gave me and tried to run  esxcfg-boot --rebuild  but it can't find esxcfg-boot and I did a search and it's not there.

-sh: esxcfg-boot: not found

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The "esxcfg-boot" command isn't available on ESXi, but only on a "classic" ESX installation.

Did you check whether changes persist when running "/sbin/auto-backup.sh" prior to a reboot?

André

0 Kudos
Rickinf
Contributor
Contributor

I think I see the problem, but not sure if it's the problem. When I ssh into esxi and run ls -l /dev/disks  it doesn't show any usb devices. Not even the flash drive esxi is installed on. Very strange. I just happened to go and backup my flash drive to have a backup and it's not there.

0 Kudos
doesntremindm3
Contributor
Contributor

I am also seeing missing my flash drive in Devices and it "forgets" 3 VMs and a vSwitch every time I reboot.  Do you remember your fix for this?

It is only some VMs off of one datastore, the rest are fine, and only 1 vSwitch.  Maybe my most recent additions?  

0 Kudos