VMware Cloud Community
rageshk
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 5.X 64VcpuS

Hi,

ESXi 5.x supports 64 vcpus , would like to know how vcpus are calculated .i have a intel server 2 processor - 8 core so my  total core is 16 but . how 64 vcpuS would be calcuated in this server  .

how no of processors ,processor per core and vcpus are calculated ..

Regards,

Ram

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

Hope this KB explains you question VMware KB: Setting the number of cores per CPU in a virtual machine

Thanks

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... how 64 vcpuS would be calcuated in this server

You cannot configure more vCPUs than the available logical CPUs on the host.

In your case with a host with 2 CPUs and 8 cores each, you'd end up with 16 logical CPUs (or 32 if HyperThreading is available), so the maximum vCPUs you can assign to a single VM would be 16 (or 32).

André

0 Kudos
rageshk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Our cpu having HT Technology so 2*8*2 = ideally 32 Vcpus can be generated in each EXSi Server .is it correct .

Regards,

Ram

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct the maximum number of vCPUs you would be able to have in a VM is 32 since the maximum number of Logical CPUs you have is 32 - how ever I would not recomend that because the ESXi host will needs cycles to run and this could cause contention for CPU cycles -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Hi,

I would suggest you to go through below blog, which will help you setting vCPU as per need to avoid CPU over provisioning.

vCpu vs PCPU

Avoiding the Virtual CPU Dilemma – Overprovisioning vCPU to pCPU ratios « Virtua...

Thanks

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos