VMware Cloud Community
cgarlick
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 5.5 Will not boot with more then 4GB of memory installed.

I am running ESXi 5.5 Free version I think (says I have 60 days) on a HP DL360 and anytime I install more then 4GB of memory ESXI will not boot it just stops.

4GB X4 Boots just fine

Got the server with this much memory in it and ESXi installs and runs just fine.

2GB X 4 Will not boot

Upgrade to 8GB and it will not boot, so I thought I had a bad memory chip because putting the 4GBX4 back in and it boots.

4GB X8 Will not boot

Bought a 32GB upgrade kit and it will not boot this memory, put the 4GBX4 back in and it boots.

Anybody know why this is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

a few more details on the hardware in use would be nice.

It's a DL360 which Gen(eration), what CPU(s), storage controller, NICs?

You wrote twice "4GB x4" which is 16GB or was that a typo and you meant "4GB x1" (or even "1GB x4")?

Does it stop during VMWare boot up process or before during POST for example?

Is it the correct type of memory you bought? With newer Gen8 and Gen9 systems you have to be careful not to mix UDIMMs, RDIMMs and/or LRDIMMs for example.

On some older systems you have to go into BIOS after a RAM upgrade to make the RAM being fully recognized by the system.

Is the system on latest patch levels regarding system ROM (BIOS), firmware for storage controllers, NICs and the iLo card if you have one? Latest SPP installed?

Did you use the HP customized ESXi 5.5 installation CD or the VMWare stock one? Is it 5.5, 5.5 Update 1 or 5.5 Update 2 VMWare version?

Lots of questions 😉

cykVM

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Do you have cd/dvd-drive on it? I'd suggest to try booting some live-cd to find if this is esxi-related, or generall hardware problem...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
cgarlick
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I did not think more hardware info was needed so here it is:

Its a Hp Proliant DL360 G5

Had 1 3.16 1333 MHz CPU upgrade to 2X3.16 CPU with the 4GB of memory it worked fine with the 2 CPUs.

Yes your right I meant 1GBx4 = 4GB

(Copied from BIOS)

BIOS is P58 5/2/2011

Backup version 1/24/2008

32768MB Memory configured

2X Proc Intel 3.16GHz, 12MB L2 Cache

2X Hp NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Adapter

Ctrl:1 HP Smart array P400i Controller

Ctrl:2 HP Integrated PCI IDE Controller

I have tried Ubuntu Live USB and it does not load as well.... Must be  a setting in BIOS that only affects it when its more then 4GB of memory??

0 Kudos
cgarlick
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried booting unbuntu from a CD and it would not boot.. Why would this work if I use 4GB of memory if it was hardware?

Unless 2nd Memory bank it the issue... I will try tha next..

0 Kudos
cgarlick
Contributor
Contributor

Well Bank 1 filled with the 4GBX4 Memory will not boot ESXi or Ubuntu.

Bank 1 filles with th 1GBX4 Memory boots just fine.

Bank 1 filled with 2GBX4 Menory will not boot...

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

First of all check in system ROM/BIOS which memory mode is configured, there should be "Advanced ECC", "Mirroring", "Sparing" etc. mode available.

From the server's quick specs: Product documentation

Branch 0: Bank A (slots 1A and 3A) and Bank C (slots 2C and 4C)

Branch 1: Bank B (slots 5B and 7B) and Bank D (slots 6D and 8D)

Just from my memory: Had a ML350 G5 years ago which made strange problems after a memory upgrade, too. If I remember correctly we had to completely disconnect the server from power (unplug power cords) and reset the built-in iLo2 card after the memory upgrade, it was somehow monitoring the hardware and blocking the upgrade.

Have you tried to just put in (only) 2 modules in Bank A (slots 1A and 3A), e.g. 2x 4GB mnodules to see if that works? After that you may add another pair of modules in the subsequent Bank(s)

0 Kudos