VMware Cloud Community
Maya_admin
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 5.5 Unable to create link in /dev/ - Required for Raid monitoring

Hi Vmware communities !

I keep struggling to find a solution to my issue which is the following :

I need to monitor my Serveraid8k Raids using Adaptec Arcconf tool. This is working fine for most of the servers on Esxi 5 except those on Esxi 5.5 Update2 and Esxi 5.1.

I'm not sure the Esxi release is related to my issue, but I just need to create a link from /dev/char/vmkdriver/aac0 (which exists) to /dev/aac0 to get my arcconf tool working correctly.

This is how I made it working on all other servers with different releases of Esxi 5 excluding 5.5U2 and 5.1.

I'm getting error "ln: /dev/aac0: No such file or directory" which is true but not helping Smiley Happy (running command ln -s /dev/char/vmkdriver/aac0 /dev/aac0)

And "Function not implemented" if I try a simple touch /dev/test. Ideally I'd like to get this link on boot (familiar with rc.local method already), I noticed all links present in /dev/ are related to /dev/char/vmkdriver already ! Is there a way to add this on boot somewhere with the others ?

For me the issue would look more like a writing/read-only mode issue, but I'm able to link something that is already in /dev/ but no more.

I've tried to compare my Aacraid drivers version, they're matching and I even tried a lower release with no more luck !

Any help would be appreciated !

John

0 Kudos
2 Replies
slg57
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue on ESXi 6.0.  It was working fine under 5.1.  Were you able to find any resolution to this?

0 Kudos
Maya_admin
Contributor
Contributor

No luck so far, still looking into this.

I was hoping esxi 6.0 would have resolved my problem, I'll give it a try but seems not to be the solution in your case.

0 Kudos